Help they are dying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 30chicks, Sep 5, 2009.

1. 30chicks

30chicks New Egg

Aug 31, 2009
    We got 30 chicks in the mail this morning and 10 are dead with 4 more looking questionable - Help _ brooder at 90 - water and food - dipped all beaks
    What can we do??

2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    we used some baby vitamins and that seemed to help them alot.
    but im not sure what to do about some of the chicks :\\

3. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    where did you get them from????
    if 10 have died, and 4 more look bad you should contact them or something

4. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    You can put a teaspoon of sugar in the water. I always make sure the water is warm the first day so as to not shock their system.
    You can give polyvisol baby vitamins be sure to use the kind without Iron.
    Check their butts to be sure they don't have pasty butt, if they do gently wash it off.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I agree about the sugar water, and you should also make certain the brooder is 95-100 degrees. Put the heat at one end of the brooder so the ones who don't want as much heat can self-regulate.

If they are standing up, peeping, they are too cold. If they are huddled, they are too cold. If they are flopped around like sleeping rag dolls, they are just right. If they have wings raised and open beaks or are panting, they are too warm- make sure they can get away from the heat.

It was possibly the shipping-shock. It could also have been temps they endured in shipping. Some breeds are not able to withstand shipping very well.

Give it a couple more days and then call the hatchery t report your losses. They will refund or send new ones.

Good luck!

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    actually, sugar in the water will only aggravate pasty butt issues. use sugar water very sparingly.

use corn syrup directly into the mouth if you can. if you have a syringe, a little into the mouth of each. if no syringe, a toothpick dipped into the corn syrup and then open the mouth gently and put a drop onto the mouth and close.

corn syrup can get into the bloodstream quicker.

7. 30chicks

30chicks New Egg

Aug 31, 2009
    well thank all for your suggestions

we have ten left

the ones that survived seem to be in good shape - for now

It has been a long day

8. ybmagpye

ybmagpye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Fair Oaks, California
    OMG! I am so sorry about your chicks! I would hope it is extreemly rare that so many in an order would arrive dead/dying. That totally sucks. If you haven't already, I would call the place you got them from and find out if there's something going on with their chicks, not to mention THE DANGED THINGS DIED! I mean, that's awful. I'm having trouble with one out of four and I'm losing it, so I can only imagine what a tough time you're having. [​IMG]

Good luck and FANTASTIC health to your remaining chicks.

Update later, ok?

9. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

seriously i am so sorry i hear all this , also i would like to know where you bought from so i never buy from there . That must have been a big bummer

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:The problem is so much more likely to be shipping stress than a hatchery problem.

I do hope you called the hatchery; all the major ones will replace or refund, even though shipping delays and other shipping problems are probably the culprit in most cases.

Something similar happened to me; it is no fun, I know. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by