Help! They won't integrate!

skizales

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 4, 2016
I have 4 hens are that are about 14 months old and they all get along great. I have two ~4 month olds I am trying to integrate. I kept the chicks in a kennel inside the run for 2 weeks and had them free ranging together for a couple hours a day. I have tried to integrate them for 2 days unsuccessfully. This morning, about 90 min past sunrise they pecked the one til her beak bled and they other hid in the top corner. They won't let either need the food or water (3 of each). It is not just one of the older girls pecking them, it's all 4. It's not a peck and run away either. The two new ones are very sweet. One is as big as the mature chickens and the other is still smaller). Having two coops or two runs is not possible. During free range time yesterday the big girls were very aggressive at the food and water stands (have 2 out). Please help!

Add more food and water stations.

Established flocks don't accept new birds because they are viewed as a threat to the flock. Eating their food and water and possibly bringing in disease.
Add more water and feed stations.
Lock 2 of the older birds where you had the young ones locked up.

also try a piece of plywood, it does not have to be real big, but big enough to hide a chicken behind it. Put one of your feed stations behind this so that others in the run cannot see who is eating there. Make sure that the birds can go around either side, so as not to create a trap. In a corer of the run will work well, but do not put one side up flush against the fence.

Mrs K

It will get better as they develop a pecking order and the others get closer in size . adding more food stations is good it will keep them occupied.

Welcome to BYC!

Good advice already given by CC and Mrs. K.

Gotta ask...how big is your coop and run (feet by feet)?
Dimensions and pics would help.

The past two nights I have locked up 2 of the big girls in a kennel inside my run (coop doors are fully open in the summer to the run) and put the two 4-month olds with the other 2 big girls. We've had no issues in the morning and the daytime free ranging went great. In the morning the pullets stayed in the coop and the big girls ignored them and went into the run. Free ranging had some stalking of the pullets, but no pecking (pullets getting very good at running away). I also put out more food and water stations in the coop and in the yard. My coop/run is about 13'X4'. Question - how long do I keep 2 of the 4 big girls locked up separately at night? Going on vacation for a week in 7 days. I will have a house sitter during vacation, but separating the 2 out may be hard for the house sitter. Appreciate all of the responses!!

The past two nights I have locked up 2 of the big girls in a kennel inside my run (coop doors are fully open in the summer to the run) and put the two 4-month olds with the other 2 big girls. We've had no issues in the morning and the daytime free ranging went great. In the morning the pullets stayed in the coop and the big girls ignored them and went into the run. Free ranging had some stalking of the pullets, but no pecking (pullets getting very good at running away). I also put out more food and water stations in the coop and in the yard. My coop/run is about 13'X4'. Question - how long do I keep 2 of the 4 big girls locked up separately at night? Going on vacation for a week in 7 days. I will have a house sitter during vacation, but separating the 2 out may be hard for the house sitter. Appreciate all of the responses!!
Better let them start working it out right now then....if it doesn't work out, figure a way to keep them separated full time.

Back
Top Bottom