Help, they won't leave her alone

rachelb

Chirping
14 Years
Mar 6, 2008
SW France
I was asked to give a good home to a 9 month old hen as she was the last of a batch and the farmer did not have room for her.So I said yes but am beginning to wish I had not! I have had to put her in with my two orps who are nearly two and wow have the feathers flown. They have been so nasty to her and are pecking her to bits. The only way she gets out of their way is to disappear into the coop where is spending most of her time just popping her head out now and then. I understand that pecking order (literally) has to be established but I am worried because we are going through a warm spell at the moment and I don't want her to become dehydrated and hungry. The farmer says that if I separate her it won't improve the situation long term as the older hens will attack her each time I re-introduce her which I can understand. Any ideas pleeeeeeeeeese as I hate to see her getting such a raw deal.
sad.png

He's right, don't separate them unless she's being seriously injured. It will take that much longer to get them used to each other. Leave food and water in a few strategic locations so that she can eat and drink wherever she is and eventually things will settle down. It usually takes a few weeks.

Thank you, it's good to be reassured that you are doing the right thing. Would you close the door to the coop? If she has an escape from them I think she will stay up there all the time and never come down or should I just leave them to get on with it?>

He is right leave her unless she is truly getting beat on bad. If you see blood pull her out they will turn into cannibals and peck her to death.

They have been pecking her on her neck and all around her face, her comb and wattle which has drawn blood, but not a lot. Each little peck has dried up quickly but poor thing I would not put her in a beauty contest at the mo. My BO is especially horrible and jumbs on her back and then starts. The other waits for her to cower down in the corner and then pecks at her. Nature eh!

Just make sure that she is eating and drinking and if she stays bloody or if the wound gets bigger pull her out. They wont stop once there is a good open wound.

Thanks MMAJW. Do you think I should let her stay in the coop all the time in the dark or shut the coop's door and force her out? I just think that if I leave her there she won't ever come out! Rachel from sunny Oxforshire

Quote:
I wouldn't force her out, she will when she is ready. Forcing and locking her with the others could make her get pecked even more. If her safe spot is in the coop thats ok. After awhile things will get better get keep a close eye.
I would just leave the door open if that is what you normally would do so they can go in and out as they wish.

Back
Top Bottom