Help they're bein mean!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kgarbs, May 31, 2010.

1. kgarbs

kgarbs In the Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Missouri
    All of my chickens are pickin on my only polish. What should I do she's going bald and she's got a huge lump on his back! She seriously looks crazy!! The only other cages I got are for like rabbits. Will that be okay? thats not really a lot of room to run.[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I think you got a couple choices:
    1- Let them work it out. You may end up with a dead polish.
    2- Seperate

You could try locking up the instigators in chicken prison. Knocking them down a peg or two. Might calm things down. Or keep the polish in a seperate pen.

Could be that they are too crowded.

Are they eating the feathers? Could be a protein deficiency.

Good luck whatever you decide

Imp

3. gbinpdx

gbinpdx Hatching

May 28, 2010
    If there is a protein deficiency, what do you recommend?

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    If your Polish is the only one with a poofy head, they are probably pecking because it looks different. However, it may also be the protien deficiency. If this is the case, you can up their protein easily by giving them egg or by switching their feed to a higher protein feed like Flock Raiser. Most feed is 16% protein, FR is 22%. It has worked wonders on my feather pickers.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:acid_chipmunk's advice is good. You can also feed them cat food, meat, cheese etc to give them more protein.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: