HELP! They're just standing there. What's wrong?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Harriet&Lucy, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Harriet&Lucy

Harriet&Lucy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2010
    Puget Sound
    I brought my three chicks home this morning and put them in the cage with water and feed and temperature of 92 degrees. They're just standing there. Even if I reach in and stroke them, they don't move. Then their heads droop and they close their eyes. What on earth is wrong?

I've never brooded chicks before, but I don't remember my ducklings ever acting this way.

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    They get really sleepy. The will fall alseep standing, drinking water, eating. Especially if they are warm, they will sleep alot. It's good, if they were just huddled and cheeping loudly, they would be too cold.

3. Harriet&Lucy

Harriet&Lucy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2010
    Puget Sound
    Do you think they're just exhausted from being caught and driven home in a box, then put in a strange place? They were chirping like crazy in that little box, then they suddenly stopped. When I opened it, they were huddled together.

I just went in a checked again, and they aren't quite statues anymore, but they're not moving around.

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    92 is too cold if they are less than a week old. I use spotlight heat sources so they have at least 96 to hang out in or move out of if they want.

5. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Inwould raise the temp some

And yes, their in a little shock..but their new..be sure to dip their beaks in the water, and I usually use my fingers and scratch at the food
    Also dribble the food near them

Xoxox

6. the Precious Ladies

the Precious Ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Maryland
    I remeber last year one of the chickies I had fell asleep and landed in the feed [​IMG] he just got back up and looked confuzed. They tend to do that right after they come home from where ever they were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by