HELP!!! This chicken HATES me! Is this a ROO???

operator16

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Colorado
Since day 2 this bird has wanted nothing to do with me, gives me the stink eye, keeps some distance, and only comes for treats. She/He won't let me touch her. Can you tell if this is a roo? Although the face is pink, there isn't really a comb, no crowing either.
barnie.gif

Beauty at 5 1/2 weeks

57573_img_0941.jpg

Beauty at 9 weeks

57573_img_1231.jpg

Beauty at 14 weeks

57573_img_0744.jpg

57573_img_0720.jpg

The only thing that makes her look like a he is a few tail feathers, but every thing else looks like a she. I'm going with a dominate girl.
wink.png

Sorry, looks like a Roo to me. Some chickens just have that I want nothing to do with you attitude. Don't let it bug you. Love on the others and see if he comes around. My view point toward Roosters is as long as we can tolerate each other we are OK. Just don't let him be aggresive toward you.

I would say roo based on those tail feathers and the hackles look a bit pointy, then those big old honkin' legs too.
Don't let him smart off, make sure he knows you are the top roo in the chicken yard.

I do give him a gentle poke and a stern "Hey!" when I see him peck others on the head (only on the roost as they get tucked in). Yesterday he was really nasty up there, so after one poke he just stared at me, I took him off the roost as he squawked and kicked and put him on the floor and let everyone else get settled and then I let him find a spot. It was the first time I had to use my authority. I think he got it. He stood there looking at me like he couldn't believe what just happened.
smile.png
Aren't roosters supposed to be good to the gals?

Quote:

Last edited:
Especially given the last two pictures, it's a boy!
A rooster who keeps his distance from you is actually quite nice. The one that I hand raised is the only one that gives me "trouble"
tongue.png

Quote:
Agreed. He's avoiding you as he would avoid the alpha roo in a flock. That's normal and not a bad thing in my book.

Back
Top Bottom