Help! This is long but I'm a newbie to stray chickens and I need advice!

Same age is good,too young she will probably bully and older she will probably get bullied. Keep the playing field level. :)
Oh good idea! I didn't think about the territorial aspect. Okay, I'll contact the farm that I know will have someone for her. Does age matter, like should I get one right around her age or could I get a younger/older one without it being a big deal?

I think this hen was the head one in the pecking order of our other 2 so I've wondered about finding one that is a little less dominant especially since she has been the lone hen for a couple of weeks.

do you have a few dog crates? or some other method to move them like was said let them see each other first do that about a week

I do. My husband actually built a coop with chicken wire that wasn't my ideal version of a coop....as I described it, it's a chicken coop crate with no egg box or enclosed area....just a crate. I need to add a roosting area to it.

It's going to be ugly regardless, that's just how chickens are. There will be pecking, squawking, feather pulling but don't freak out,that's just how chickens shake hands lol! If blood gets drawn then you worry about dominance issues. You're at the start of a very interesting journey my friend. :)
I think this hen was the head one in the pecking order of our other 2 so I've wondered about finding one that is a little less dominant especially since she has been the lone hen for a couple of weeks.

Why limit yourself to only one companion? If there is aggression its good to have more targets for it if you have an appropriate sized coop. If blood gets drawn that is never good at that point put out a distress call in forums there are ways to deal with that, but step one would be to separate them. Welcome to BYC and I would encourage you to introduce yourself to your state thread. I know someone will be nice and link you to Florida. Good luck to you! allen

While she is confined you might think about linking a favored treat to a sound, either a vocal call, whistle, or shaking seeds in a can so if she gets out accidentally or you let them range a bit later you have a good chance of calling them in to the run.
What a good thing you have done! Is there a picture?

Back
Top Bottom