Help to sex silkies

LaitonLintu

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2018
Hi everyone, I'm hoping some more experienced chicken keepers can help me sex my silkies please :) :)
They were bought at a auction, sold as females. I'm assuming maybe 3-
chookin.jpg
chookin.jpg
4 weeks old? I am fairly new to this so any help is very appreciated.

4 weeks is a bit too young to be sure, but you will start noticing differences at this age. I managed to sex my Silkies by about 5 weeks.

At that age, what you're looking for is a larger flat wide comb and large legs/feet, and they would be the cockerels. It helps when you have a few of them because then you can compare. I only had 3 but 2 of them were males, so I actually noticed differences in the hen first, mainly that she was generally smaller than the other 2, had a smaller comb, head and legs/feet.

Mine are only 9 weeks now but here's a couple of pictures of leg comparisons.

This is the hen.
IMG_4280.JPG

Here's one of my boys,
IMG_4282.JPG

The boys legs always remind me of dinosaur legs for some reason!

4 weeks is a bit too young to be sure, but you will start noticing differences at this age. I managed to sex my Silkies by about 5 weeks.

At that age, what you're looking for is a larger flat wide comb and large legs/feet, and they would be the cockerels. It helps when you have a few of them because then you can compare. I only had 3 but 2 of them were males, so I actually noticed differences in the hen first, mainly that she was generally smaller than the other 2, had a smaller comb, head and legs/feet.

Mine are only 9 weeks now but here's a couple of pictures of leg comparisons.

This is the hen.
View attachment 1600058

Here's one of my boys,
View attachment 1600059

The boys legs always remind me of dinosaur legs for some reason!
All of their feet look the same to me though lol

Back
Top Bottom