Moragh Eilish

Hatching
Apr 29, 2020
Hello everyone!
I am new to the group. I joined in the hopes of getting some advice as to how to help my chickens...
Three weeks ago, and a day after we brought our hens home, an eagle swooped in their pen and attacked one of the bigger girls (we have six brown layers). The attacked hen is now named Scar, because she’s super tough and recovered (physically) from getting a large chunk of her feathers ripped out and some pretty deep wounds... however, the hens went from confidently exploring their new grounds to confining themselves in a huddle to their coop. They have also stopped laying.
They seem to be healthy, as they come out and peck when I come to visit them, but when I leave they return back to their coop.
I have tried playing calming music for them, leaving treats out for them, I never tried to force them out of their coop, I put fake eggs in their nest, I spend a good chunk of time with them to make sure they’re getting out, eating and drinking (I made sure to put their water and food in their coop)...
I’m not quite sure how to help them. Maybe if I moved the location of their pen?
the day after the attack we put netting overhead, so they are now completely protected, but they don’t seem to feel so.

thank you for your time :)

Yeah that was a rough welcome for them, no question. But they will move on. I would suggest if possible moving the coop. Especially if you can give it some kind of overhead shade like under the edge of a tree. Right now they're just convinced they will be eaten. Assuming you don't have a Roo either. He'd have pulled them back out by now if you did.

If they are exposed to the open sky (netting isn't going to look like much protection to them), that may be why they are hesitant. Also, they have everything they need in the coop: shade, roosts, food and water, so why leave? Maybe you can put the food and water near the coop entrance, but outside? Can you place some cover for them in the run to make them feel more comfortable. Even if you just park your wheelbarrow or garden cart, or kid wagon in the run for awhile, it gives them something to peck and scratch around and still feel hidden.

You can use scratch once per day - maybe afternoon/ early evening to get them out and scratching around for the treat. Toss it near the door, around whatever cover you've added.

Good Luck! Those girls have had quite the scare!

Welcome!
They are being sane and sensible! The pen still looks the same to them, so of course they are afraid to go there.
Try adding some cover, like @Acre4Me suggested, move it if it's reasonable to do that, and plant some shrubs around the outside of the pen, it it's too small to grow anything inside.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom