HELP! Trying to catch a lost/found feral chicken!!

Yes, I say take two of your most tame chickens and take them out there every evening ( or time your home everyday ) and let them lose with her. Do this everyday and they will accept her into the flock. Start throwing seed and your chickens should come then she should follow :) eventually throw seed into the pen ( leave the gate open ) and your chickies should come and she should come! This might take a time span of a week or two. Good luck to you and your hen!

GREAT news. We were able to catch her. My husband had to get her after dark by going up on a ladder and grabbing her. We weren't able to secure a net before - just seized the moment. She is now safely in a small pen in our laundry room.

She had been roosting about 20 feet high on a dead and leaning cedar tree - basically like a giant chicken ladder. It was a great spot for her really and difficult to reach!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with her - I would put her in with my hens but I have some bossy RIR who are about twice her size. Not sure how that would work out.

Thanks for all of your suggestions - it really helped us figure out what to do.
smile.png

Good to hear it, and glad to know there are people like you, and the BYC flock, that care about the critters so much ... knowing she would have not made it through winter out there.

Give your hubby a big pat on the back from me for being so brave .... 20' up a ladder in the dark, and back down the ladder with a chicken in one hand....
clap.gif

Happy to have been a part of helping,

Joe.

Last edited:
I PUT DOWN A LITTLE FOOD EACH DAY AND JUST HANG OUT SO THEY ARE USED TO MY BEING THERE. I STRAIGHTEN OUT A WIRE COAT HANGER. BEND A V SHAPED HOOK ABOUT 4" LONG ON THE END. WHILE THEY ARE EATING I SLIP IT NEXT TO THEIR LEG AND JUST PULL. THE SHAPE OF THEIR FOOT HOLDS THEM IN THE V GIVING YOU TIME TO GRAB THEM. GETS THEM EVERY TIME! THE DRAW BACK IS IF YOU MISS THEY ARE ON TO YOU AND YOU ARE DONE FOR THE DAY. THE GOOD THING IS THE NEXT DAY THEY SEEM TO FORGET AND YOU HAVE ANOTHER CHANCE.

Back
Top Bottom