Help!! Trying to manage Rooster-Hen Ratio

This is one of my worst nightmares. A coworker recently had to butcher 3 of her beautiful Roos. They were fighting and causing all kinds of trouble with the hens. She was sad but what can you do? She found a home for one, which was lucky. She just had an unlucky strait run this year I guess. :/

This is one of my worst nightmares. A coworker recently had to butcher 3 of her beautiful Roos. They were fighting and causing all kinds of trouble with the hens. She was sad but what can you do? She found a home for one, which was lucky. She just had an unlucky strait run this year I guess. :/

Sometimes when there is more than one roo with hens they will all act BAD because they are competing with each other. (Young roos also act bad when sexual maturity hits!) But many times even an awful acting roo (with the hens) will act fine when he is the only roo. I wish I had known that in the past because I believe I have put some roos in the freezer who actually would have been great as the only roo with a flock. Live and learn!

Last edited:
From my experience having a aggressive roo makes the whole flock Upset. To keep your flock happy keep the friendly roo and get rid of shy and aggressive roosters.having more then 1 rooster causes problems.

Back
Top Bottom