HELP!!! Turkey acting drunk...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Ardizzone7, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I have a royal palm female that has a rounded back and her tail feathers are dragging the ground. She stumbles forward then stumbles Bach a few steps. I ran my hands along her body but don't feel anything unusual. Also there are no visual injuries. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong????

2. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    Anyone have any ideas?

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    How is she doing?

Injury or some toxin (wet feed/funky `fungus' from rain sodden range) would be my best guesses, if the onset was sudden. Keeping her penned with fresh water/feed and observe droppings for anything unusual would probably be useful.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    She is still the same. She is very unsteady and when not moving forward she stumbles backward. She is worse in the evenings than in the morning. I will pin her and watch her droppings. We can't figure it out. It seems to be physical. She moves her head normally and has clear eyes. She just can't get her body to cooperate. She went to the pond yesterday and almost couldn't walk back up the bank. We have kept water in a pan for her since then. If anyone else might have any ideas I would appreciate it.

5. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
  6. hdmax

hdmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Ohio
    Maybe fermented feed! are you making moonshine?[​IMG]
    Sounds like it could be ear related problems, maybe some sort of ear infection. I don't know, just a stab in the dark. Any animal can get an ear injury/infection that could/would cause stability issues.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by