help!! Turkey tearing up leg

Nmbeall56

Hatching
Mar 16, 2023
I have a 9 month old hen turkey that over the last 2 months has started to tear her leg up. Anyone have any ideas as to why she would do this? No other poultry just her. When she attacks herself that’s all of her focus until o can get her to break that focus. She went 3-4 weeks since the first time she did this any help or advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• 1A30A6F7-59E2-4F2B-A2D2-AEC96D68A250.jpeg
    1A30A6F7-59E2-4F2B-A2D2-AEC96D68A250.jpeg
    728.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 985F1686-998C-4B56-BC36-5DAFE968B2E5.jpeg
    985F1686-998C-4B56-BC36-5DAFE968B2E5.jpeg
    551.6 KB · Views: 5
  • ED483935-7230-4E38-987A-55F6B660AB48.jpeg
    ED483935-7230-4E38-987A-55F6B660AB48.jpeg
    878.4 KB · Views: 5
I have been dealing with this for about a year now on one of my hens. I previously had an issue with a jake a couple years back, but he eventually healed and left it alone. My current tom had the issue last year, but after wrapping it and treating it once and leaving it wrapped for awhile he left it alone. My hen however, has not stopped for about a year and it's been driving me mad honestly.

You can try treating with some sort of antibiotic ointment and wrapping it for awhile and maybe she'll eventually leave it be, but it's not always the answer. My hen acts like she's scared of her leg and runs from it while mauling it. I've checked the bottom of it, the top of it, and I can't seem to find why. I don't see any dead tissue or signs of bumblefoot. No idea what it could be honestly. I'll wrap it, and she'll ignore it while it's wrapped, but when I take the wrap off it's like a fresh reset no matter how healed the wound looks and the scab is gone in a few seconds.

I would honestly try the wrapping first before anything else. Clean the leg, coat it with maybe triple antibiotic (no pain relief) or maybe spray it with a veterycin or something like that, and then wrap it. You could try leaving it for a couple of days to see if it heals like that, or try changing it more frequently. Hopefully you have better luck then my hen and she heals up fast.

Going to keep an eye on this thread for my own info as well, lol.

I have been dealing with this for about a year now on one of my hens. I previously had an issue with a jake a couple years back, but he eventually healed and left it alone. My current tom had the issue last year, but after wrapping it and treating it once and leaving it wrapped for awhile he left it alone. My hen however, has not stopped for about a year and it's been driving me mad honestly.

You can try treating with some sort of antibiotic ointment and wrapping it for awhile and maybe she'll eventually leave it be, but it's not always the answer. My hen acts like she's scared of her leg and runs from it while mauling it. I've checked the bottom of it, the top of it, and I can't seem to find why. I don't see any dead tissue or signs of bumblefoot. No idea what it could be honestly. I'll wrap it, and she'll ignore it while it's wrapped, but when I take the wrap off it's like a fresh reset no matter how healed the wound looks and the scab is gone in a few seconds.

I would honestly try the wrapping first before anything else. Clean the leg, coat it with maybe triple antibiotic (no pain relief) or maybe spray it with a veterycin or something like that, and then wrap it. You could try leaving it for a couple of days to see if it heals like that, or try changing it more frequently. Hopefully you have better luck then my hen and she heals up fast.

Going to keep an eye on this thread for my own info as well, lol.

Thanks for replying! im glad to know its not as uncommon as it sounds. i have been cleaning the area with peroxide then spraying with vetericyn but not wrapping as i was concerned that she would just rip it off and aggrivate the injury more. what kind of antibiotic would you recommend? owning a bird is a first for me i found my hen in the middle of the road as maybe a few day old baby. (i have several amish neighbors who did not claim her or want her)

Thanks for replying! im glad to know its not as uncommon as it sounds. i have been cleaning the area with peroxide then spraying with vetericyn but not wrapping as i was concerned that she would just rip it off and aggrivate the injury more. what kind of antibiotic would you recommend? owning a bird is a first for me i found my hen in the middle of the road as maybe a few day old baby. (i have several amish neighbors who did not claim her or want her)

I wouldn't use peroxide, warm soapy water is better. Then let it dry, slather antibiotic ointment and then wrap it. If you wrap it like a bumblefoot injury she won't be able to get it off.

Thanks for replying! im glad to know its not as uncommon as it sounds. i have been cleaning the area with peroxide then spraying with vetericyn but not wrapping as i was concerned that she would just rip it off and aggaivate the injury more. what kind of antibiotic would you recommend? owning a bird is a first for me i found my hen in the middle of the road as maybe a few day old baby. (i have several amish neighbors who did not claim her or want her)

Stop using the peroxide. It can cause a burning sensation making the problem worse if it is not completely flushed with water following its use.
i found my hen in the middle of the road as maybe a few day old baby.
Looks like you are in the illegal possession of a wild turkey.

Stop using the peroxide. It can cause a burning sensation making the problem worse if it is not completely flushed with water following its use.

Thanks won’t be using peroxide any more, pretty positive this is not a wild Turkey since she had way too much white than an eastern, where I live it’s not illegal
To possess only illegal to rob a wild Turkey nest of eggs. Thanks for the advice I can use as much and i can get!

Thanks won’t be using peroxide any more, pretty positive this is not a wild Turkey since she had way too much white than an eastern, where I live it’s not illegal
To possess only illegal to rob a wild Turkey nest of eggs. Thanks for the advice I can use as much and i can get!
How is she?

Back
Top Bottom