1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help? Two Goat milking questions...Nigerian Dwarfs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickylou, Mar 21, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    We are soooo excited. We picked up our two pretty, but VERY SMELLY [​IMG] Nigerian Dwarf milk maids today. I also got my first lesson in milking. I still need a bit of practice, I guess so we won't be drinking any of the milk for the next week or so until I get used to milking and I have all my equipment and questions answered. If you are knowledgeable about any of these, please, I'd appreciate your input.

1) Stainless Steel: On goat sites, they sell seamless stainless steel milk pails for close to $50 or more. When I went to Wal Mart today, I walked down an aisle that had stainless steel pots in small, medium and large for a LOT less. Is there some secret ingredient that makes the goat site ones more expensive? Can I use a small stainless steel pot with lid? or a bowl?

I also notice on the bottom of one it said, "Stainless Steel +Aluminum" would this not be acceptable for milking?

What do you all use for this purpose.

2) Milk Filters: I noticed they sell these filter pads. I was under the impression that all you need is a stripper cup with mesh wire. How do you use these? Do you milk into a cup and then just pour the milk on the filter pads into a mason jar?

Can anyone help me understand the process a little better?

Thanks so much. I'm sorry if I sound ignorant. Those are two pieces I'm not quite getting.[​IMG]

2. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    Nobody knows?

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I milk into Mason jars. Save your money, glass cleans just as well as stainless...but no...you can buy cheaper pails if the thought of shattering glass frightens you.

I use a metal hand strainer and coffee filters to filter my milk.

CONGRATS on your new goats!!

4. lynlyr

lynlyr New Egg

Mar 1, 2009
    Montrose Colorado
    my neighbor uses an old coffee filter that sets in a funnel. the filter is the kind you can reuse. it all sets nicely into a mason jar. i am envious. would love to have a milk goat. good luck

5. lynlyr

lynlyr New Egg

Mar 1, 2009
    Montrose Colorado
    sorry after she milks into a pail she filters. sometimes if the goat is rowdy she will hit the pail and send it flying,glass could break

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Quote:Hobbles [​IMG]

7. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I am SO getting hobbles on the first of the month. As for a milk receptacle, I use a plastic pail that was given to my kids (like the ones they use for making sand castles) and to strain I use old t-shirt material and strain 3 times.....

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I use a stainless steel milk pail. I bought a package from caprinesupply that included a pail, strip cup with a screen, a stainless steel strainer and 200 filters for it, and a can of fight bac spray. It cost me about $75 for that. I like having the pail because it has a handle that makes it easy to hang it on my garden fence while I get everything ready.

I don't want to use glass jars when I do milking (though I do strain my milk into glass jars for storage), because I do have a kicker. I use hobbles on her, but she still manages to swing a leg enough every once in a while and I'm sure it would send a glass jar flying. The pail is tall enough that my left hand keeps that leg from getting in the pail or sending it flying.

I like the strainer and filters that came with it as well. I may or may not buy a new pack of filters when I run out. I will have to see what the cost is compared to coffee filters. The strainer fits perfectly into my mason jars for pouring the milk. I don't think I would just use the screen on the strip cup as a strainer since occasionally little pieces of dirt get in the pail and I imagine dirt or a hair could pretty easily get through that screen...yuck!

9. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I'm a one handed milker. What I like using is a mason jar mug. It looks like a canning jar, but has a handle and is used for a beer mug, I guess. I pour the milk off into a larger jar. Then, I strain through a coffee filter into jars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by