HELP!! Two new Roens trying to hurt Pekin

taytes

In the Brooder
May 24, 2015
michigan
We got two roens yesterday, one male and one female. My female Pekin duck escaped the coop when we put them in with her and she would not go back in. We finally got her back in the coop now the male roen is trying to rape her and they both keep pecking at her. We got the Roens out of the coop and they are free roaming right now while the Pekin in locked up, but it is getting dark and I cant leave them out all night. HELP!!! What do we do??

Take your Pekin into the house in a crate or utility room where she is safe. Her life is at risk.

Get the Rouens into the shelter to protect them from predators.

Take a deep breath, and figure out a plan for introductions. It takes time. Ducks often act this way. It is normal. More in a few minutes, you need to move the ducks all to safety. Do not put them together now.

@taytes

Last edited:
The ducks will need to live side by side separated by temporary fence for a while. How long is up to them. Feeding them treats at the same time will help, as will just letting them see each other.

At first they can have supervised time together. But it will take several together-times without problems before you can try putting them together in closer quarters.

I have them seperated tonight. I made a temporary shelter for the two roens to keep them safe and out of the cold. I will have to work on a more permanent structure tomorrow. My Pekin is in the permanent coop. She is still scared and wont come out from under the house part. She wont even eat her treats or go in her pool

Back
Top Bottom