1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! Two new Roens trying to hurt Pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by taytes, Jan 10, 2016.

1. taytes

taytes Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2015
    michigan
    We got two roens yesterday, one male and one female. My female Pekin duck escaped the coop when we put them in with her and she would not go back in. We finally got her back in the coop now the male roen is trying to rape her and they both keep pecking at her. We got the Roens out of the coop and they are free roaming right now while the Pekin in locked up, but it is getting dark and I cant leave them out all night. HELP!!! What do we do??

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Take your Pekin into the house in a crate or utility room where she is safe. Her life is at risk.

Get the Rouens into the shelter to protect them from predators.

Take a deep breath, and figure out a plan for introductions. It takes time. Ducks often act this way. It is normal. More in a few minutes, you need to move the ducks all to safety. Do not put them together now.

@taytes

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The ducks will need to live side by side separated by temporary fence for a while. How long is up to them. Feeding them treats at the same time will help, as will just letting them see each other.

At first they can have supervised time together. But it will take several together-times without problems before you can try putting them together in closer quarters.

4. taytes

May 24, 2015
    michigan
    I have them seperated tonight. I made a temporary shelter for the two roens to keep them safe and out of the cold. I will have to work on a more permanent structure tomorrow. My Pekin is in the permanent coop. She is still scared and wont come out from under the house part. She wont even eat her treats or go in her pool

5. taytes

May 24, 2015
    michigan
    Thanks for answering me. I am really stressed about all of their safety

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by