Help!!!! UPDATED!!!!!!!!

MissD

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Hi all! I am a 2nd grade teacher and my class and I are hatching Call and Cayuga ducklings. We candled them yesterday and all 28 of them were moving inside the eggs. This morning I got to school to no pwer or water. The temp on the incubator read 80 degrees. The egg turner was of course also off. The power came back on about 30 minutes after my arrival, but I have no idea how long it had been out. The incubator is now back up to its 99.5 degrees and humidity is also back up to normal. I have a very worried and upset group of 7 and 8 year olds. Does anyone have any words of encouragement based on experience???? Thank you!

We let them heat back up for about 4 hours and then candled them. I'm happy to report all 28 are moving!!! Hopefully we'll have 28 little ducklings on March 22nd!!!

Last edited:

TriciaHowe

Mother Hen
11 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Trenton, FL
Call ducks are really difficult to hatch anyway so I don't know about those, but regular duck eggs are very hardy in my experience. You should be fine
smile.png
I finally let a broody hen sit on eggs a couple of weeks ago and twice I went out there to find she had gotten of the nest, ate and then went back into the wrong nest! Silly hen.... Anyhow, both times the eggs were cold but I stuck her back on them and when I candled last night they were developing nicely
smile.png

Good luck with your hatch
fl.gif

sciencechick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
Central Virginia
Hi MissD

If they only cooled down to 80 degrees, the outage didn't last for a very long time.
The eggs didn't get that cold and turning isn't that big of an issue short-term.

I think that most of them will probably be alright.

Good luck and keep us posted!
fl.gif

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
Everything will be just fine! Best wishes for a wonderful hatch!
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Top Bottom