HELP??? (URGENT)

yoomd1

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2016
Hello there, today is day 19 of an incubation process, and I have a silkie hatching. The problem is that it's DAY 19. As well as it being premature, I have noticed that it's shell is extremely weak. I grew a suspicion that it may have accidentally broke the shell with it's wing, and it's beak is in it's air sack. But since the beak is in the air sac, it may be getting outside air, so it keeps its beak in the air sac till it becomes shrink wrapped. I have covered the opening with tape to see if the chick would try and pip somewhere else, but it's been 2 hours and nothing has happened. I fear that the chick may die and I believe some of you might have the answers. Any suggestions???

It isn't uncommon for small eggs to hatch early. If it were me, I'd probably lose the tape since it won't be able to peck through that. You probably should mist the egg to prevent the shrink wrap (if that hasn't already happened). It may eventually need assistance.
As soon as you open an incubator with an external pip, you gamble that it will be shrink wrapped.

Thanks for the reply. I took off the tape and miraculously the chick is still alive, I'm not sure if i can assist it, because the membrane is tough but still the chick hasn't absorbed the blood. (I'm actually not sure if the blood is absorbed or not)

If it isn't already shrink wrapped, increasing humidity will certainly help. Humidity should always be increased by day 19 just in case they hatch early.
Don't be in too big of a hurry to help, especially when there is still a day or two to go.

Back
Top Bottom