HELP URGENTLY NEEDED/INFORMATION

Brooksey

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Sherwood, Nottingham
Hi I have 2 Cayuga eggs in my incubator 1 of them is healthy, it has big deep red veins and the embryo moves within , the other has an embryo about the size of 5p it is not moving and only a few very tiny veins are present, What should I do, should I discard the egg or shall I weight untill it should hatch/ should of hatched, and it doe's not smell bad either

Thanks

Hi Than kyou for replying, I am on day 15 and my other egg is completely different to this one, I mean the healthy one is moving and I can hear a really faint noise within the egg and the veins are really deep red and strong, but this one it just does not look right at all, I would of thrown it away but the only thing keeping it in my incubator at the moment is the fact that it does not smell rotten.

i would wait

i had duck eggs a few weeks back and waited to remove at 10 days leaveing ones i suspected alive (only removed ones that where absolutly no veins)

then i candled again at day 20 and removed only dark eggs that where no veins at all leaving any i suspected to be 50/50

then last at day 25 again leaving any 50/50 and removing only ones that had no veins at all

i leaft any egg that i suspected to be ok regardles of size of embryo (as long as it dont smell)

(day 25 is lockdown so then only removed unhatched after that on day 30-32)

Last edited:
But this egg, I can see like very light black lines that looks veins

this is without even candling it i have it on my lap now it's just been taken out of the incubator and i can see like black veins underneath the egg surface but yet when i candle it i see no veins

yes if the lines are black it could be dried blood from a blood ring bacteria infection

remove it and stick with last egg left

ducks are hardy

i had a single duck hatch and he seems to be fine in the brooder alone

although he is only 3 weeks old and once at week 4 will go out with the other older flock who are also youngens but older about 8 weeks old

I have just cracked open the egg and you was right the chick had stopped growing a long time ago it had a no veins what so ever and had was quite smelly, You have saved me a lot of disappointment, Much Appreciated :D

Back
Top Bottom