HELP us please...injured chicken...

Quote:
X2 I agree with all of the above. I would just try to keep her comfortable, warm and away from the others and only time will tell. I wouldn't worry about pushing food on her today, maybe just some fluids if you can. You should know more by tonight/tomorrow if she develops brain swelling her condition will get worse. So sorry this happened to you and your girl. Good luck.
hugs.gif

(I am not a chicken expert, but a nurse anesthetist(my real day job), so I do have real life knowledge regarding brain injury)

You may want to try the antibiotics to try and avoid infection. Our local Tractor Supply had a package for just a few dollars. We had to literally open our hens' beak and drip them in. She did begin to get well after my daughter held her in the bathroom for about 2 days straight! The problem with the antibiotics is that you usually have to give them for several days. We had her separated from the flock for about a week. When we went to put her back in, it was like they didn't know her anymore and she went straight to the bottom of the pecking order-which was horrible.

You'll really need to consider whether or not you're capable and/ or willing to care for a disabled bird. Hopefully, she'll do just fine but the others could really pick at her.

My kids said a prayer for you guys!

Thank you everyone for your posts, you are all so understanding. She peeped twice when she heard the flock outside peep so that's a good sign, enough to keep trying.

Thank you for your replies - and so sweet your kids prayed for us! All the advice is much appreciated.

I think the popped eye is going to be extremely painful for the hen and a source of infection if it is not replaced in the socket. Can you keep it moist with gauze? Maybe when the swelling goes down, the eye can go back in. I don't know how you would go about PUTTING it back in, though, if it doesn't go back by itself. If you keep it moist, it will be less painful for the hen, I believe. It really sounds like a case for a vet.

Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom