Help!very Sick Chicken--another UPDATE

I would try mixing some dry milk in her feed or offering her oatmeal and yogurt. Also, try adding a tbsp of Bragg's apple cider vinegar to a quart of drinking water or 1/4 cup to a gallon. It really helped a couple of 6 week old EE I got a few months ago that weren't doing so hot.

If anything it's a really healthy tincture!

Btw, the girls are thriving now.

NottinghamChicks,
Thanks for doing some research. I have researched and tried to figure out what is going on but didnt find what you did. So, if this is what is wrong, it certainly makes me feel horrible though! If it all goes back to sanitation...wow, I feel like a slob. We have 9 chickens in a 15 x 8 run. I know it's not a castle, but it's not puny either. Their coop is fully in their run...it is raised off the ground by a couple of feet so they still have the area underneath as well. It is a 4 x 6 coop. I clean the pine shavings out every week. I do rake the run every week as well although I had stopped for a while at the suggestion of a farmer friend. I just started putting DE down. I originally got these hens from a good friend of mine who is a meat farmer. She does sustainable meat shares and doesnt do anything with her hens, and doesnt have any problems. I was asking advice from her in the beginning, but she is of the opinion that the more you dont interfere the better. I was totally for all natural remedies, but they didnt seem to work. I wonder if it is ok to give them antibiotics while they're being dewormed?
Blue Ninja,
I havent tried the dried milk, but I do offer them yogurt and oatmeal as treats, and especially when they are sick. This hen of mine turned her nose up at the yogurt, so I went the oatmeal and honey route. I do put a couple of splashes of Braggs acv in their 2 gallons of water along with 5 crushed garlic cloves every day. Sometimes I mix probios powder and molasses or honey with their crumbles as a special treat too.

Back
Top Bottom