HELP! Vomiting chicken!

Folic acid antagonists include the sulfonamides, 2,4-diaminopyrimidines, and ethopabate. These compounds are structural antagonists of folic acid or of para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA), which is a precursor of folic acid. (The host does not synthesize folic acid and has no requirement for PABA.) Coccidia rapidly synthesize nucleic acids, accounting for activity of PABA antagonists. Although resistance to antifolate compounds is widespread, they are commonly used for water treatment when clinical signs are already evident. Diaveridine, ormetoprim, and pyrimethamine are active against the protozoan enzyme dihydrofolate reductase. They have synergistic activity with sulfonamides and often are used in mixtures with these compounds.
Thank you so much for this info. Very informative.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, Tokay passed away earlier this afternoon :( She seemed to be doing better this morning. I was already feeling more hopeful about the things we could do to help her get better. However, she declined rapidly later in the day. At around noon, she let our a panicky chirp and her body stiffened. After that, she became progressively weaker until it was her time to go.

We tried to make her last moments comfortable. We brought her out to see the view from the mountainside. Thank you so much for all your advice. This community has been so helpful. Will backread your messages when I feel a little better. I'm sure they will come in handy in the future.

It breaks my heart but I hope Tokay is enjoying in chicken heaven, eating all her favorite foods. We did our best to save our favorite baby. A part of me feels like I didn't do enough to help her :( but I guess it was her time to go. She will be dearly missed

I am very sorry you lost your beloved Tokay. As they hide any illness so well, sometimes we just notice too late and despite our best efforts we lose them. :hugs

UPDATE: Unfortunately, Tokay passed away earlier this afternoon :( She seemed to be doing better this morning. I was already feeling more hopeful about the things we could do to help her get better. However, she declined rapidly later in the day. At around noon, she let our a panicky chirp and her body stiffened. After that, she became progressively weaker until it was her time to go.

We tried to make her last moments comfortable. We brought her out to see the view from the mountainside. Thank you so much for all your advice. This community has been so helpful. Will backread your messages when I feel a little better. I'm sure they will come in handy in the future.

It breaks my heart but I hope Tokay is enjoying in chicken heaven, eating all her favorite foods. We did our best to save our favorite baby. A part of me feels like I didn't do enough to help her :( but I guess it was her time to go. She will be dearly missed
I’m so sorry 😢
You tried, and that is enough. A lot of people neglect their chickens and couldn’t care less bc they are “just barnyard animals.” IMO, whenever a chicken has any kind of a loving life other than a factory - then they have won the jackpot lottery no matter how short their lives may have been. I have lost several hens and been left wondering if there was more I could do, but I try to remind myself that chickens can be very fragile - sometimes these things just happen! You’re a great chicken mom, and I’m sure you’ll bless many other chickens with a great life. I believe in quality over quantity ❤️

Thank your for all your advice. Am learning a lot. Didn't know what the exact mechanism underlying sulfa-based antibiotics treatment for parasites was, so I appreciate your detailed explanations!

The trickiest thing here for me was not really knowing exactly how to help Tokay. I think I asked at least 3 poultry technicians/general veterinarians for help, and they all suspected it was coccidiosis. I doubted the working diagnosis because she seemed to be getting worse even with antibiotics. Perhaps, I didn't give the medicine enough time to work (as an extremely anxious first time chicken mother HAHA), or maybe the infection just ran its typical course + Tokay's immune system may not have been very strong. When crop issues developed mid-way, i.e., her "throwing up" because her crop wasn't emptying properly, I considered other possible explanations like sour crop or maybe some sort of GI tract obstruction. But maybe the digestive problems were an effect of parasitic infection?

I went in the chicken house today and bonded with the chickens a little longer. I miss Tokay but I'm more motivated now to keep better watch of the others.

I am very sorry you lost your beloved Tokay. As they hide any illness so well, sometimes we just notice too late and despite our best efforts we lose them. :hugs
Yes. It feels so strange when I think about how lively she was just last week. So much can happen in 5 days. We keep some, we lose some. I'm just happy I got to spend 3 wonderful months with her

I’m so sorry 😢
You tried, and that is enough. A lot of people neglect their chickens and couldn’t care less bc they are “just barnyard animals.” IMO, whenever a chicken has any kind of a loving life other than a factory - then they have won the jackpot lottery no matter how short their lives may have been. I have lost several hens and been left wondering if there was more I could do, but I try to remind myself that chickens can be very fragile - sometimes these things just happen! You’re a great chicken mom, and I’m sure you’ll bless many other chickens with a great life. I believe in quality over quantity ❤️
Thank you so much :( This was really, really comforting to read and I'm sorry about the hens you've lost. I agree - I noticed most people who raise chickens here (I'm from the Philippines by the way!) don't really regard chickens as pets. They're usually raised as a form of livelihood or for cockfighting, which is fine and perfectly valid, but that's also probably why some people think my close attachment to my chickens is a bit ridiculous. I mean, we also plan to harvest and sell eggs in the future, but we still treat our chickens like family.

My mom and I are raising 33 chickens (32 now without Tokay) for the first time, and we're really trying our best to ground our practices in research and provide them optimal care.
That's why I appreciate these forums so so much! This week, I found it so hard to find people in the area with specialized knowledge about raising chickens. You guys helped so much!

Thank you so much :( This was really, really comforting to read and I'm sorry about the hens you've lost. I agree - I noticed most people who raise chickens here (I'm from the Philippines by the way!) don't really regard chickens as pets. They're usually raised as a form of livelihood or for cockfighting, which is fine and perfectly valid, but that's also probably why some people think my close attachment to my chickens is a bit ridiculous. I mean, we also plan to harvest and sell eggs in the future, but we still treat our chickens like family.

My mom and I are raising 33 chickens (32 now without Tokay) for the first time, and we're really trying our best to ground our practices in research and provide them optimal care.
That's why I appreciate these forums so so much! This week, I found it so hard to find people in the area with specialized knowledge about raising chickens. You guys helped so much!
You are more than welcome. I’m so glad to hear that you’re trying to be different than your culture is used to… good people are everywhere and you’re one of them. Please come back whenever you need help and we will always try our best. Sending you hugs and love from Lincolnton, North Carolina US 🤗

You are more than welcome. I’m so glad to hear that you’re trying to be different than your culture is used to… good people are everywhere and you’re one of them. Please come back whenever you need help and we will always try our best. Sending you hugs and love from Lincolnton, North Carolina US 🤗
Thank you!!! Hugs from the Philippines! <3

Back
Top Bottom