Help w/ Breed and Sex

K9Dave

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
Big Stone Gap, Va.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6309418/width/200/height/400[/I
MG]
[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6309419/width/200/height/400

My flock consists of 4 RIR, 2 BO, 1 Brahma, and 2 of whatever the white one is in the pic I posted. For the life of me I can't remember what I bought. Lol. They are very nice chicks though. Lovely breed whatever it is.

Thought I would post pics of a few to try an see if anyone thought I had any Roos? If so I can deal with it now instead of when they've gotten older and it will be easier to replace now as well with new chicks.

Thanks in advance for any help ya'll offer. This site is great. I'm addicted officially.

G

• The RIR are about 7-8 weeks and the others are around 6 weeks. Does the red comb mean Rooster? Any knowledge about yellow legs? I thought I read something about that once. Can't remember if/what it meant/means.

No idea on yellow legs as I've never had RIR - but the second one is definitely a rooster and the third one *may* be a rooster. I'm still not sure on the first. It looks like a pullet to me.

Pullets generally won't have any reddening of their comb or wattles until they're getting ready to lay, depending on the breed, this could be anywhere between 21 and 35ish weeks. My Wyandotte is 28 weeks old and still has a light pink comb and wattles but Wyandottes develop a little slower than most. My Sussex is the same age, hers started turning red last week. My Polish roo on the other hand, started getting obvious red wattles at maybe 7 - 8 weeks while my girls never really even started having obvious (but pink) wattle growth until they were about 15 - 16 weeks old and their combs are still quite small now.

Other things to look out for are pointed saddle feathers, spurs on the legs, legs which are usually a bit thicker than a pullets and the tail generally develops faster and grows longer on the males in most breeds. Some breeds will have a green shimmer to their tails. Hens also have tiny spurs on their legs, but they'll be the size of a tiny pimple. So at that age, there may not be any difference between boy and girl sized spurs but you'll soon be able to tell if you keep an eye on their growth.

I hope that helps, even a little. :) I'm sure someone with experience with your breeds may be able to tell you some breed-specific things if they have any though. Feather patterning and growth rate, or the colour of the legs, as you mentioned etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom