Help! Watery scours in baby goats!

Were you able to check out the link of the old thread? There seems to be some useful info there. Similar situation as you.
So one thing I noticed when reading is that my babies are grinding their teeth quite a bit. Is there anything I can do to make them more comfortable while I try and figure this out?

Hi
We recently got 2 doelings (got them last Saturday, were born on 02/04/21) we were feeding them whole milk with evaporated milk and buttermilk, but they had runny poop. So we called the vet and he said to switch to a milk replacer for goats only (we also got a their cdt vaccine in while we were there), and we did yesterday. Now their poop is way worse. We've been giving them electrolytes. One is much more energetic than the other, but the less active one is still excited to eat and will hop a little bit, but not nearly as much as her sister. The vet didn't say anything about her being less active so I didn't think anything of it. But now she seems like she doesn't want to lie down and when she does she makes some sounds before sleeping and I was wondering if she was in any pain.
Their bellies are also a little swollen, and I read that bloat can sometimes be caused by milk replacer so I gave them some baking soda in water (1 c with 1/2 tsp), but their bellies are still kinda round.
I really need help figuring this out, because my family and I are very new to goats and don't have too many trustworthy sources around here besides the vet.
I know I read something about this but I would see a vet if able because scours can be deadly if left untreated

So one thing I noticed when reading is that my babies are grinding their teeth quite a bit. Is there anything I can do to make them more comfortable while I try and figure this out?
I don’t but maybe try to tag one of the people that replied in that thread and see if they’ll be able to guide you in some way. To tag someone just use the @ symbol and type their username right after as a reply to this thread.

example:
@Livia Stouffer

They're 14 days old. They actually haven't been drinking the full 10 oz they're supposed to all day. I've been feeding them 3-4 times a day. I also have hay available for them to nibble, but they're not too interested yet.
Here's a site I use for general information on bottle feeding,

https://goatspots.com/articles/bottle-feeding/

If they are having scours it's always best to cut back on the milk, or even put them on electrolytes for a day or two. Generally loose stools means you are feeding too much, or there was a too rapid of change in diet.

Goats have sensitive digestive tracts, so all changes should be made slowly. If you are switching between milk and replacer you have to do that slowly. Any increases need to be done slowly as well. I've successfully used replacer, others don't do well using it.

Grinding teeth generally means they are in pain. I would stop the replacer, get some electrolytes and give them a day to settle. @cassie can help with advice about feeding cows milk. It might be a better option for you. I believe you use straight whole milk.

Here's a site I use for general information on bottle feeding,

https://goatspots.com/articles/bottle-feeding/

If they are having scours it's always best to cut back on the milk, or even put them on electrolytes for a day or two. Generally loose stools means you are feeding too much, or there was a too rapid of change in diet.

Goats have sensitive digestive tracts, so all changes should be made slowly. If you are switching between milk and replacer you have to do that slowly. Any increases need to be done slowly as well. I've successfully used replacer, others don't do well using it.
Thank you!!💕 I think I maybe have done all my transitions way too fast. They went from mom, to whole milk, to formula in all less than a week. I've been giving them some probiotics that are also supposed to help with stress, but I'll keep you updated on how they come along over the next week. We can contact our vet again soon as well.

Oh! And the formula we've been using is Manna Pro: Kid Milk with Probiotics, so if anyone has any opinions on it I'd love to know if it's good.

Grinding teeth generally means they are in pain. I would stop the replacer, get some electrolytes and give them a day to settle. @cassie can help with advice about feeding cows milk. It might be a better option for you. I believe you use straight whole milk.
Our vet told us to stop using whole milk. but I'll bring up the issues we've been having with the replacer and see what he says.

I've used Advance kid replacer.
Our vet told us to stop using whole milk. but I'll bring up the issues we've been having with the replacer and see what he says.
You definitely need to transition slowly between the two. I would take a week at least. I personally prefer the replacer especially when made out of goats milk, but everyone like something different.

Back
Top Bottom