Help! weak chick!

thechickgal

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Indiana
A couple days ago I went to rural king and got some chicks, 2 leghorns, a jersey giant, a buff orpington, and 4 bantam chicks. all the chicks are doing great except for the tiniest bantam. Shes been acting very weak and just lays around. I haven't seen her eat, and her crop always looks so empty. Ive only seen her drink a couple times. her poop has been kinda runny too. I don't know what to do, she seems to be getting worse. Please help!

Are you using a heat lamp or other source of heat? Keep her warm. Right away put electrolytes in her water, and get her drinking by dipping her beak for a second and then letting her swallow. repeat this several times, let her rest, and repeat. If you don't have the electrolytes add a teaspoonful of sugar and a small pinch of slat to a quart/liter of water. Check her vent/bottom for pasty butt or dried poo, and remove it with warm soapy water if it is pasted up. I like a thermometer to use under the heat lamp so that it is not too warm or too cold. 90 degrees with a cooler spot to go to is good, then decrease it to 85 in several days.

Ive been using a heat lamp. She doesn't have pasty butt. ill start giving her electrolytes as soon as I can. Thanks for the help, I hope she gets better soon.

the little chick didn't make it. :hit another bantam chick I had bought was perfectly fine all day and running around with the others, then just suddenly dropped. now another of my bantams are acting kindve weak too. idk what to do.

Do you have access to a fast acting vitamin like Nutridrench? Just squirt half a ml or so into their beak - then squirt another ml or so of plain water in. A lot of shipped chicks really go through a lot of stress and a good vitamin can really help. :)

Back
Top Bottom