Help! Weak duckling!

Bobbimarks

Chirping
Sep 27, 2015
HI there,

We had 12 ducklings hatch this past weekend! The last one hatched Monday, so is 3 days old now. She doesn't seem to be catching up with the other guys and seems pretty sleepy still. Though I've seen her drink, she is not motivated at all to eat anything. She ends up getting pushed around by the lot of them because she's to tired to push her way in or get out of the way. She can walk, but just seems weak. It's a khaki Campbell mallard mix I think.

Unfortunately I think it's too late for this baby... She has decorated so much in the last few minutes that I strongly doubt she will make it.
1f622.png

I didn't try save-a-chick. What is it? And is readily available?
Unfortunately she didn't make it. I moved her to her own separate container with a heat lamp. I tried yo get her to drink some water. She seemed to perk up a bit, but I had to take my son to the doctor, and by the time I returned, she had died.

I didn't try save-a-chick. What is it? And is readily available?
Unfortunately she didn't make it. I moved her to her own separate container with a heat lamp. I tried yo get her to drink some water. She seemed to perk up a bit, but I had to take my son to the doctor, and by the time I returned, she had died.
So sorry she didn't make it.
hugs.gif

Save a chick is in packets TSC carries them you mix into water according to directions it's a good one to have on hand for new hatchlings to get them started. Also Poultry Nutri Drench is another good one.

Sav-A-Chick is wonderful. I give it to my ducklings immediately once they go out of the incubator and into the brooder, usually at a day old. I got both the electrolytes and the vitamin mixes from Tractor Supply and put one packet of each in a gallon of water. I do this for the first 2-3 weeks of their lives, or as needed if any issues arise after that. I'm pretty sure it saved my shipped Cayuga's life. When she arrived in the mail, she was weak and laying down and sleeping a lot, while all the others seemed vibrant and happy. I sat down with her for an hour, gently dipping her beak in the water (I didn't have an eye dropper), and she began to perk up. Finally she began biting my fingers and shaking her little head, probably had enough of the beak-dunking, lol. From then on she was a healthy fierce little duckling.

I'm sorry your duckling didn't make it, but the others would benefit from sav-a-chick. A little poly-vi-sol in an eye dropper is also good to give a weak duckling. Good luck with the rest!

Back
Top Bottom