Help well confused. (Hen feathers growing back in but also lossing some)

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Well I have before threads about bald spotson my BO by her comb and well her feathers are growing back in. NOW her neck feathers are missing. Like the stem of the feather is there just the feather itself is gone. She doesnt have mites and her face looks dry idk. Sorry the pictures are real bad but I tired my best. Today she just didnt want to be herself like she usually is around me. Shell come to me but today she ran if I wanted to pick her up. By the end of it I got her to to be herself but idk.

Attachments

• 20201123_134158.jpg
    20201123_134158.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201123_134433.jpg
    20201123_134433.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 8
There are two possibilities-- feather plucking by other chickens, or she's molting. The first can be remedied by giving the chickens more protein in their diet, and more space if they are cramped. You could also apply hot peck to the bald areas to keep other chickens from pecking her there.

But I suspect it is molting. If that is the case, just be patient. New feathers will grow in. And yes, chickens can act strange when they molt. It's nothing unusual.

There are two possibilities-- feather plucking by other chickens, or she's molting. The first can be remedied by giving the chickens more protein in their diet, and more space if they are cramped. You could also apply hot peck to the bald areas to keep other chickens from pecking her there.

But I suspect it is molting. If that is the case, just be patient. New feathers will grow in. And yes, chickens can act strange when they molt. It's nothing unusual.
Do they molt during winter? sorry I'm a new time chicken owner and needed to make sure she's alright lol. thank you and I not think others are pecking her as she is at the top of the pecking order. what type of protein? I have premium yellow mealworms that have protein in them. They use all flock fee because I have a rooster.

Do they molt during winter? sorry I'm a new time chicken owner and needed to make sure she's alright lol. thank you and I not think others are pecking her as she is at the top of the pecking order. what type of protein? I have premium yellow mealworms that have protein in them. They use all flock fee because I have a rooster.
Yes, fall and early winter are the usual times for molting. I bet that's it. It is totally normal and happens to all chickens.

For protein, you check the percentage on your chicken feed bag, where it lists nutrients. It should be 16% to 18% protein for layers, not anything under 16%.

Meal worms are a great source of protein, and they will give her the extra boost she needs to make new feathers. But don't overdo it. A few is good, too many is not.

Yes, fall and early winter are the usual times for molting. I bet that's it. It is totally normal and happens to all chickens.

For protein, you check the percentage on your chicken feed bag, where it lists nutrients. It should be 16% to 18% protein for layers, not anything under 16%.

Meal worms are a great source of protein, and they will give her the extra boost she needs to make new feathers. But don't overdo it. A few is good, too many is not.
okay thank you. The mealworms come with a tiny scoop so ill check the bag and same with the feed.

Well I have before threads about bald spotson my BO by her comb and well her feathers are growing back in. NOW her neck feathers are missing. Like the stem of the feather is there just the feather itself is gone. She doesnt have mites and her face looks dry idk. Sorry the pictures are real bad but I tired my best. Today she just didnt want to be herself like she usually is around me. Shell come to me but today she ran if I wanted to pick her up. By the end of it I got her to to be herself but idk.
Molting season. They lose some of their feathers and grow back more for the winter months. Happens again in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom