HELP! Wet Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Junkybird, May 5, 2009.

1. Junkybird

Junkybird Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dacusville, SC
    Yesterday a posted about my ducklings keeping my coop wet from their water. Well, last night we had our first heavy summer rain here and this morning underneath the top layer of shavings you can tell that the ground is wet/damp. They are scratching up damp soil and shavings now. Also, rain could have been coming in the window. All it is is a casement with hardware cloth sandwiched in between. There is no shutter or anything to cover it.

How bad is this? Do we need to put in a floor? I thought that the soil floor was going to be more natural for them, but I don't want it to stay damp from periodic rains! My husband says that we can try gutters and small ditches around the coop, but I'm wondering if that will work. With a soil floor, should you expect the ground to always be a bit damp?

It should not be that hard for hubby to put in a plywood floor. Right? Aaagghh, seems like this thing will never be "perfect."

2. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I would think getting the water to drain away from the coop would help a lot, I am sure you will get a lot of suggestions here, how wet is it? damp, or wet ? A foor would make it easier for you I think but I don't know if it is necessary. Maybe someone else will come along with another option. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by