Help! What are your observations on these cochins??

Fiddlehead

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Western Mass
These are my chickens, can you help me by telling me what color/breed they are? I know they are cohins and/or silkies, but I don't know what color they are technically called. Also, we think one of our Roo's may be a mix of cochin and silkie. Are my chickens all mutts? Any observations you have, please let me know!! Do they look like they are able to be sold at an auction? We have too many Roo's! We need to give them away, if anyone would like one please let me know!

pic 1- this is the one we think may be a mix of cochin and silkie
57283_dsc_0014.jpg

pic 2
57283_dsc_0005.jpg

pic 3
57283_dsc_0020.jpg

pic 4
57283_dsc_0009.jpg

LOL! Thanks so much! So, what do I do with them? I got them from this lady that has like 100+ and they all just run amok. Do people ever want these, even for free? Or should I bring them to auction?l I believe they are all Roo's, which I can't have. Thanks so much!

PS How can I become able to differentiate pure breeds like you guys? Is there a good site, or is it just experience?

Definetly an odd looking bunch. Someone would probably take them for free. Pick a breed you want and study up on it. Then go looking. It also depends on what you mean by pure bred. There can be a big difference between hatchery birds and birds bred to standard. They both have their own uses it just depends on what you want.

Hi! I am still relatively new to this chicken thing, but you would be surprised how quickly you can pick up on stuff! Most of what I learned I got from BYC. I started out in the "What Breed or Gender Is This" section. I looked at pics and read people's replies. I got to see what they were talking about with the different feathers and combs that boys can get. Also, look through the breeds list that is on the top of the page. I looked through most of them and picked what I wanted. Then I got some and decided I wanted something else!
lol.png

Anyway, if it were me, I would take those boys to the auction to try and recoup some money and then research for a couple weeks and go from there!
frow.gif

Thanks Pox! I am like a reading machine lately! Lots of info, and as much as I love this site, there is a sea of info... I wish there was something more streamlined for silkies. There are a hundred silkie thread, so much that I can't fine the info on breeders that I am looking for.

Back
Top Bottom