Help!! What bread are these? They could be Wyandotte, Ancona, Sussex or Orpington. And are they hens

Mrs Henny Penny

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 9, 2013

Chicken number 1

Chicken number 2

Chicken number 3

Chicken number 4, it hasnt got all its feathers yet, it look so scruffy!!

Chicken number 5

Chicken number 6

Did you mean that these were purebred, or mixes of the listed breeds? I don't think any of these are pure for the breeds you listed. And chick #3 is a mix for sure--look at that crest, and none of your listed breeds have crests.

Hi, i have no idea about chicken!! I got some eggs off a friend & borrowed an incubator, and those were the names of the breeds that i was told they could be. So i have no idea! i was hoping someone could help me. At first i wasn't keeping them, i was going to give them back, but i have fallen i love with them! Im hoping that they all are hens as i cant have roosters. Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

I think that they are all barnyard mixes, and that chick #3, at least, is a mix with a Silkie or another crested breed (not one of the breeds in your title). Also, chicks #2 and #3 are most likely cockerels. I don't think you'll ever get lucky enough to get 100% pullets out of a hatch. Count anything that's less than 50% cockerels as a win.

Oh, and welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
Chicken 1 could be your wyandotte but mine had yellow legs not black
Chicken 2 looks like a young speckled sussex
Chicken 3 has a top hat like a Cream Leg Bar which is a mix between RIR and Barred rock but is a self sexing breed - males have white dots on heads and the female have the top hat - males too but with the combs it is harder to see it.
Chickens 4 on onward all look like andulations or Jersey Giants. Mine were very curious and friendly

Hows that for guessing?
Caroline

Chicken 1 could be your wyandotte but mine had yellow legs not black
Chicken 2 looks like a young speckled sussex
Chicken 3 has a top hat like a Cream Leg Bar which is a mix between RIR and Barred rock but is a self sexing breed - males have white dots on heads and the female have the top hat - males too but with the combs it is harder to see it.
Chickens 4 on onward all look like andulations or Jersey Giants. Mine were very curious and friendly

Hows that for guessing?
Caroline
Cream Legbars may have had some RIR and BR blood in them originally, way back in the 1930's when they were first bred, but today they are an actual breed that lays blue eggs, not a mix or hybrid. They are also VERY expensive right now--the next big thing. I sincerely doubt that there is a Cream Legbar in this group of barnyard mixes.

Last edited:
Thanks so much everyone!! Very much appreciated. I was guessing that number 2, 3 & 4 were roosters. As round their beak was red & the others wernt red. Im going to have to learn what all their bits are called! Number 1 is the favourite, so my son will be happy. These are going to pets. I want to make sure that they are roosters before i have to give them away. How long will that be do you think. Thanks, im so glad i found bc, i love it!! Very helpful

Thanks so much everyone!! Very much appreciated. I was guessing that number 2, 3 & 4 were roosters. As round their beak was red & the others wernt red. Im going to have to learn what all their bits are called! Number 1 is the favourite, so my son will be happy. These are going to pets. I want to make sure that they are roosters before i have to give them away. How long will that be do you think. Thanks, im so glad i found bc, i love it!! Very helpful
Post their photos again in a month or so. By then the boys will be clear.

If you need to get rid of cockerels, they usually go pretty well on Craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom