Help! What breed is this!

So this is Simon. I got him at a barn and i am trying to figure out what breed he is, someone told me Siamese mix?

He he is adorable!

If the kitten has long hair, he is a domestic long hair. If he has short hair, he is a domestic short hair. Because he is a barn cat, any wandering tom could be the father, so you have no idea if he is an actual breed. Just because he has a specific coloration. doesn't make him a certain breed. He is a mixed ancestry cat.

Last edited:
He sure is a cutie! It's a possibility that he has what is termed "fever" coat in which case there's a good chance he'll shed the gray and end up a beautiful, black cat. Good luck with him; he already looks like he has quite the personality. :)

I mainly wanna know what his parents are so i can winnow out ailments specific to his breed and try to prevent them. There were hundreds of other cats there so its pretty hard to tell. However i did see a nice cream Siamese there , male and there was a big black female as well, that's kinda what im thinking but obviously hard to tell.

He sure is a cutie! It's a possibility that he has what is termed "fever" coat in which case there's a good chance he'll shed the gray and end up a beautiful, black cat. Good luck with him; he already looks like he has quite the personality. :)
Oh my Lord you have no idea! He wakes me up when he's hungry by sticking his tongue up my nose! I hope he doesn't lose his Charcoal gray color i love it! However obviously i love him regardless.

This is the closest thing on the internet i can find to him. It's a Black Smoke Maine Coon. However i don't see this really as a possibility as there were no Maine Coons there.
barnie.gif
So confusing.

I mainly wanna know what his parents are so i can winnow out ailments specific to his breed and try to prevent them. There were hundreds of other cats there so its pretty hard to tell. However i did see a nice cream Siamese there , male and there was a big black female as well, that's kinda what im thinking but obviously hard to tell.

Unless people are in the habit of dumping rare, expensive, intact purebred cats at barns, he has no recent purebred ancestry. His parents would be mixes, their parents would be mixes, and he definitely a mix. You didn't see a Siamese, you saw a pointed cat. That is a color, not a breed. That would be like calling any calico or tortoiseshell cat a special breed, when they're not. If you truly want to know what might be mixed in there, you can spring for a Cat Ancestry genetic test. You order their kit, get a good cheek swab using the included supplies, and send it off.

Because he is not purebred, there are no specific health concerns you can look out for. Just keep in mind the normal ones for any cat. Get into the habit of brushing his teeth now, to prevent gingivitis. I wish I'd gotten my housecat as a kitten so it wasn't such a battle to get her teeth done everyday. Feed him a high quality wet food. Or if you want to take it up a higher notch, a balanced raw meat diet (either ground, frankenprey, or whole prey. Whole means you don't have to worry about organ meat and bone ratio)

Why wet? Domestic cats are obligate carnivores who were domesticated from desert cats. That means two things, they need a diet of only animal protein, and they get nearly all of their water needs from their food. Dry cat food is full of plant carbohydrates (even the high quality kinds still need to use some plant matter a binder), and it will also lead to chronic dehydration. A cat will never drink enough water from a bowl, sink, or fountain to make up for what they aren't getting on a dry diet. Under hydration leads to renal problems, such as infections, crystals, and stones.

Dry food is also not good for their teeth. Don't let people convince you that wet will rot their teeth. Dry will equally rot their teeth. Just like eating potato chips doesn't clean you teeth, eating dry food won't clean their teeth. What will clean their teeth is a soft toothbrush and some feline toothpaste, no matter what they eat. A raw diet with whole prey or bone in frankenprey will clean teeth some, too. If you've ever seen a cat gnaw a raw rabbit haunch to bits, the raw bone really scrapes their teeth well.

Back
Top Bottom