HELP! What do I do about humidity?!

Quote:
Do you have a gable roof or a flat one? Could be if you have a gable roof that the humidity is collecting up in that cavity. If so, you need gable vents at peak of both gables.
smile.png
In any event, the humidity and temp will reflect what is outside pretty closely without heat in the coop. You have about 1 sq ft for 9 chooks. I have about 1 sq foot for every 4 chooks by way of comparison.
smile.png

Hi Gsim.
No poop doors.
I have (2) 6"x12" vents in the soffits, one on each side of the building. The soffits are on the sides of the building that get direct wind, and my building is up on blocks, so air circulates under it. I also leave at least one of the two double chicken doors open during the day.
This pic was taken during construction, but you can see how big the chicken doors are. Nice days I open both. Windy days, I only open one.
41021_101_0456.jpg

You need a pair of 12" x 12' gable vents. They are cheap and easy to install. They need to be at the peak of the gables. Mark it off and drill 4 holes at the 4 corners, about 1" dia each. Then use a sawzall (reciprocating saw) to cut out. The vent will have a flange of 1" to cover the rough edges of your cut. Be certain to use a torpedo level (8" level) to mount the vents. If they are crooked it will be apparent on such a small bldg.
wink.png
This will allow both humidity and odors to escape. Both rise with heated air from chooks breath and from poop.
sickbyc.gif
As it is now, that is trapped in there up high. Gotta do it for their health.
smile.png

It looks real nice. A handsome coop.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom