1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help what do i do if one of my hens mated and /the rooster is still going for that one hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicathechic123, Sep 26, 2015.

1. chicathechic123

chicathechic123 New Egg

Sep 10, 2015
    Eagle bay new york
    hi guys I need some help do I separate the rooster from the hen that he is constantly mating and if I leave the hen in the coop with the other hens what will happen

2. Sunnyacres nest

Sunnyacres nest Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    what are the numbers and ages of your flock

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Roosters sometimes seem to target the low ranking hens and will mate them repeatedly, sometimes ignoring the other hens, I would probably not keep him around, if he's young he might improve, you should make sure your hen isn't being hurt, maybe you could put a hen saddle on her to protect her back.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That is the joy about roosters!
    I have nine hens and one rooster. Usually my hens tolerate his constant attention. My one dominant hen sometimes attacks him for being too loving with herself or the other hens.
    If your hen isn't injured. let them be as they are. It looks worse than it really is.
    I wouldn't separate the hen. Your only causing her stress buy keeping her separated.

How many hens do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by