HELP! What do I do when chicks hatch?

LaurynRose

In the Brooder
May 30, 2015
Missouri
Okay so my hen is sitting on two eggs right now in the coop. When they hatch do I need to separate her and them from the rest of the flock? If so how do I do this?

Last edited:
Hi there, I am not an expert but I would separate them if you can. I have my broody and her babies separate now because when I tried to hatch some out before it didn't work out. I heard peeping coming from an egg and thought everything was great but the next day the eggs had disappeared and I found only one dead chick. I have no idea what happened whether the broody killed it, another hen or something else got in and killed it. I tried another time before that and eggs kept disappearing too a few days before hatch day, it was really bizarre!

This is about my 3rd time trying and I bought the babies to put under her (luckily she accepted), I have her and babies in a big dog crate (but had to block off the gaps as they can squeeze through!) in my house. However she was already used to sitting in the dog crate when I moved her-I had tried to get her to go in the crate last time i tried but she only wanted to sit in her usual place-so I couldn't move her last time. It can be difficult, you risk breaking her out of being broody if you try to move her.

Back
Top Bottom