Help! What do I feed this flock?

For anyone reading this advice: check the labels on the bags available to you. It varies from one brand to another, and may change any time the company changes their recipe.

For an example of the variation, I just checked a few websites. Purina's website has their flock raiser at 20% protein while the chick starter is only 18% protein. Tractor Supply's website has Dumor chick starter at 20% protein, while Dumor All Flock is down at 17% protein. Also on Tractor Supply's website are chick starter and all flock from Nutrena Naturewise, both at 18% protein. And if anyone is reading this post a few months or years later, they will probably find that the protein levels have all shifted around again.
I only use Nutrena Naturewise and don’t change brands whether I use chick starter or all flock. Yes, different protein levels, but still enough either way.

I only use Nutrena Naturewise and don’t change brands whether I use chick starter or all flock. Yes, different protein levels, but still enough either way.
I just switched over to Nutrena Naturewise All-flock....that stuff smells great!! It was only 10 days old when I picked it up. I was feeding Tucker Mills All-flock and it continued to have weevils in it because the milling date was so long. I could not find the date so I had him look it up when they took shipment and it had been in the warehouse for 2 months. So I switched to a fresher feed and my birds love it!!

I just switched over to Nutrena Naturewise All-flock....that stuff smells great!! It was only 10 days old when I picked it up. I was feeding Tucker Mills All-flock and it continued to have weevils in it because the milling date was so long. I could not find the date so I had him look it up when they took shipment and it had been in the warehouse for 2 months. So I switched to a fresher feed and my birds love it!!
It does smell fresh! I always look at mill dates and smell the feed when I open the bag lol.

It does smell fresh! I always look at mill dates and smell the feed when I open the bag lol.
For some reason I could never find the mill date on the Tucker feed....once I figured it out the co-op guy asked me why I was feeding that feed instead of layer and commenced to argue with me over why I should feed layer. I have a rooster and he's an absolute A$$ but I don't want to harm him if possible as he does his job very well. Besides...I need to keep him at peak health for our weekly confrontations. :)

For some reason I could never find the mill date on the Tucker feed....once I figured it out the co-op guy asked me why I was feeding that feed instead of layer and commenced to argue with me over why I should feed layer. I have a rooster and he's an absolute A$$ but I don't want to harm him if possible as he does his job very well. Besides...I need to keep him at peak health for our weekly confrontations. :)
I’ve had roosters like that, jerks!

When I started with chickens I used non medicated feed and the guy at the feed store argued with me over it. They all have their opinions, fortunately we can make our own decisions.

I’ve had roosters like that, jerks!

When I started with chickens I used non medicated feed and the guy at the feed store argued with me over it. They all have their opinions, fortunately we can make our own decisions.
Absolutely....that's why I love that I found this forum when I started my journey with chickens. My only regret is not diving into what rooster was best with people cause it sure ain't a RIR. When I finally get enough I'll send him down the road to one of my neighbors who has a huge flock and will gladly take him.

Absolutely....that's why I love that I found this forum when I started my journey with chickens. My only regret is not diving into what rooster was best with people cause it sure ain't a RIR. When I finally get enough I'll send him down the road to one of my neighbors who has a huge flock and will gladly take him.
I’m glad your neighbor will happily take him! It’s hard to get rid of the boys sometimes. RIR do seem to be assertive and usually the group in charge, but those roosters are just gorgeous!

I have had roosters of various breeds and a few mutts in my time. There isn’t really a particular breed that always has nice roosters, it’s really the luck of the draw vs what you want from your flock. The best rooster I’ve ever had was hatched and raised by my flock of only girls and he was a Naked Neck.

Some roosters will have no problem with being handled per what I’ve read here, but that has never been my experience. Also, they really hate it when the ladies are touched by anyone but them, so I check them over at night when they roost. Anything to keep the peace!

I’m glad your neighbor will happily take him! It’s hard to get rid of the boys sometimes. RIR do seem to be assertive and usually the group in charge, but those roosters are just gorgeous!

I have had roosters of various breeds and a few mutts in my time. There isn’t really a particular breed that always has nice roosters, it’s really the luck of the draw vs what you want from your flock. The best rooster I’ve ever had was hatched and raised by my flock of only girls and he was a Naked Neck.

Some roosters will have no problem with being handled per what I’ve read here, but that has never been my experience. Also, they really hate it when the ladies are touched by anyone but them, so I check them over at night when they roost. Anything to keep the peace!
He's turning into quite a handsome fella....I'm trying to hold out in hopes he calms down some. I was considering a BR rooster when I started but the hatchery said to get a RIR for my free range flock as they are great protectors and look outs. I have no doubt that he would sacrifice his life in protecting his flock which is really what I was after. Mine are free ranging all day every day and he certainly does his job. It just gets old looking over my shoulder waiting for an attack....I feel like Peter Sellers waiting for a Cato attack in the Pink Panther movies.

He's turning into quite a handsome fella....I'm trying to hold out in hopes he calms down some. I was considering a BR rooster when I started but the hatchery said to get a RIR for my free range flock as they are great protectors and look outs. I have no doubt that he would sacrifice his life in protecting his flock which is really what I was after. Mine are free ranging all day every day and he certainly does his job. It just gets old looking over my shoulder waiting for an attack....I feel like Peter Sellers waiting for a Cato attack in the Pink Panther movies.
How old is he? Sometimes they mellow with age, sometimes not. I gave an Australorp roo to my son and they’ve gone a few rounds with long stretches of harmony between so sometimes those hormones get the best of them regardless lol.

I had an SS rooster who would try to sneak up behind me when I was in the coop to collect eggs or clean. Nowhere near the girls out at the other end of the yard. If it wasn’t for the kids I would have let him be, he was good at keeping the girls safe, but the kids help with yard chores and the roo would stalk them so he had to go.

Have had several SS roosters; half were polite, and half were miserable 'man fighters'. I gave up on them years ago for that reason. Never had a nice RIR cockerel.
My best have been those white Chanties! Also Salmon Favorelles are very nice too.
Our one Ameraucana rooster was tough on some or the other birds, and fine with humans. It is very individual, realizing the odds are better or worse depending on breed and family lines.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom