Help! What do you do with the cockerels?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Coop de Grass, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

I just hatched my first eggs. The Bielefelders are auto sexing and I got one of each which is perfect because I wanted a Roo. The 4 under the Broody are Buff Orpingtons and I have to sex the 4 that hatched. The odds are against me!

What do you do with the roos?

[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Guess you have a few options with roos. Grow them and eat 'em, sell 'em for meat or try to sell to other breeders.

CT

3. annmarie33

annmarie33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2015
    I am dealing with this as we have bantams and they are not sexed. Plus I incubate from our flock. The 7 I have incubated were ALL roosters. The 17 I got mailed to me- 10 were roosters. And then the current 6 I had mailed 4 were roosters[​IMG] we pulled a prank and put 9 roosters in my sister in laws bamckyard one night. Which was epic. And the others my husband kills them and I've never watched bc I've raised them from chicks. But organic free range chickens are not cheap! So it makes sense to cook them. We make chicken broth and bone broth from the bones and can it. And eat the meat too which is really good

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I eat them, add them to my free range bachelor coop (in which case they may still get eaten) or sell them off with excess pullets in pairs and trios. Occasionally I have someone looking for just a cockerel, but not often. Pullets here aren't sold without a cockerel unless I manage to get rid of all the boys and still have extra girls left over (doesn't happen very often).

5. Coop de Grass

I am not ready to butcher the roos myself. I have been investigating processors, but so far haven't found any around here. My step son works on a goat farm where they also raise chickens for eggs. I'm going to ask if the butcher their own chickens and if they would do some for me.
    [​IMG]

6. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle

I know a lot of people really hate the idea of eating the roos, but around here it's really the most humane option. Other area poultry people usually have all the roos they need. We raise them and eat them.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2016
  7. Coop de Grass

@amynrichie I don't think we would have a problem eating them, its the processing that is getting me! If I could solve that, I would consider those Cornish thingamebobs.
    [​IMG]

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I was nervous about processing myself. The first one is always the hardest. It certainly isn't a pleasant aspect of hatching or buying straight run, but it's reality. You can't keep them all. And sometimes, you can't even give them away.

9. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    That's so true. I do a mini processing on my extra boys and I know they had a good life and a clean, quick death. Then I partially skin and take the breast/rib meat and the legs. Since I only do 1 or 2 a a time, it gives me the most meat for the least amount of fuss.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dubrovnik

Dubrovnik Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2016
    There is a fellow named Herrick Kimball who has online tutorials on processing chickens and turkeys. He does it in a tent on the lawn, and has a cooler full of ice and water to hold the plucked birds, and a pot of water at 150 degrees for scalding them so their feathers come out easily.
    I guess it is better to do it outside the house, as kids and pets and spouses may well get very upset about butchery.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by