Help! What gender are my Barred Rock chicks?

Oh, there's only 3?! Ha-ha I thought there were 2 sets :p blonde moment ... Ok yeah all pullets then ;)

I love my BRs. They were my original breed before coming HERE and finding a gagiliion new breeds... Now I have 11 breeds, but the BRs are still my favorite bunch. They are a wonderful dual purpose, lay very well, calm, and inquisitive. :) They can be bossy, but I think all breeds can, given the chance ;)

You're right about there being two sets. I bought 3 birds and then panicked because I thought I had 2/3 boys so I went back and bought 2 more a couple weeks ago. The 3 big ones are about 7 weeks old I think and the 2 smaller ones are about 4 weeks old.

Oh, there's only 3?! Ha-ha I thought there were 2 sets :p blonde moment ... Ok yeah all pullets then ;)

I love my BRs. They were my original breed before coming HERE and finding a gagiliion new breeds... Now I have 11 breeds, but the BRs are still my favorite bunch. They are a wonderful dual purpose, lay very well, calm, and inquisitive. :) They can be bossy, but I think all breeds can, given the chance ;)

You're right about there being two sets. I bought 3 birds and then panicked because I thought I had 2/3 boys so I went back and bought 2 more a couple weeks ago. The 3 big ones are about 7 weeks old I think and the 2 smaller ones are about 4 weeks old.

Oh my lol, some days I'm a little more "with it" than others ;)

Well the 3 older are definitely pullets, and I would venture the 2 young ones are too... The pink combed 4 week old is going to have to have another photo shoot if the comb gets really pink by 8 weeks. But you're going to have eggs, at least :)

I have pictures somewhere in my profile of mine when they were 7 weeks, my mom thought they were all roosters because of their combs; BRs get pink combs early ;)

Last edited:
I wanted to give an update on our chicken situation. We're still going back and forth on what sex these birds are. These three are a little over 12 weeks now and are clucking like big girl chickens. No eggs and no crowing yet so I'm still a little unsure. What do you think, boys or girls?

This is our chicken, Creampuff, that we're pretty sure is a pullet. She's stayed smaller than the others so far with a smaller comb and smaller body.

This is Nacho. She/he was really skittish as a chick but has become much more friendly in the last month. Now she seeks me out anytime I come outside. Today I noticed that Nacho has some green sheen in her black barring and it seems like maybe the feathers on her back are getting longer. I'm worried she's revealing herself as a he with saddle feathers. This is my first time owning chickens so I'm not sure about this stuff.

Nacho's face.

Nacho's tail.

Nacho's waddles.

This one is Nugget and is, by far, our favorite.

Nugget lets us pick her/him up with no fussing or hassle. She's always been the first one to do something (first one to figure out how to get out of the brooder, first one to jump up on me, first one to greet me when I get home).

We also noticed that Nugget has the green sheen in her barring as well.

Nugget's face.

Nugget's butt. I don't know if I'm seeing saddle feathers developing or just seeing her feather out more.

There's a possibility on Nacho being roo... The tail is questionable but I would expect a bigger comb for 12 week BR cockerel..hmmm...

Nugget is a cockerel, for sure. The comb, wattles, tail, that eerie green feather; all classic signs.

But the kicker us how he is sitting in your hand. Only my roosters have ever let me do that; they actually seem to enjoy it! Cockerels aren't as timid, and are quite friendly. ;)

Oh no! I didn't know the holding thing would be a sign of gender! They all let me hold them like that
th.gif

Lol I can hold all of mine too, its just that I can tell if my chicks are cockerels pretty quick most times just based on how they run right TO me, instead of away, and they seem to love this weird hold, where I literally just cup the while bird in my hand, and their legs dangle through my fingers... I haven't ever had a pullet do that...

Well, as far as I remember anyway ha-ha ;)

Edit* I added a pic of the cockerel hammock lol

Here's the same cockerel at about a week old.

I just can't remember any pullets seeming to just "hang out" like the males have ;)

But you might baby yours more than me, I dunno lol :D

Last edited:
You know, Nugget might in fact be a pullet! I went and looked at my pics of mine at 12 weeks, and their combs were the same, not red yet...

I think they're all pullets and Nuggets posture might have made her tail look longer... That green feather weirds me out, though.

Here's the sure way to tell by those feathers by the tail and neck; if they end in a rounded tip, like a spoon, they're pullets; If they are pointed, they're male.

How you got her to lay on your hand..lol well I don't know, maybe I need to hold my pullets more ha-ha ;)

In BPR one of the must reliable feather fir female, is the black wash in front of the yellow shanks. Add to this the darker appearance, and the broad stripes it almost 100% a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom