Help - what is this? (Poop pic sorry)

My birds are on medicated, so when I got the new girl I fed her the same as them but she was not on medicated feed previously. The breeder I got the first 3 from said it's a must *shrug* I guess everyone has their different opinions.
You have 3 other birds and just brought this one new bird in?

I would deworm all four birds and I would treat all four birds with Corid if I were you.

From the looks of your first picture that one new bird had a very bad roundworm infestation so no telling what else she is coming to your house with. If she is carrying a strain of coccidia your original three birds are not used to then it could become a problem for them or vice versa.

You have 3 other birds and just brought this one new bird in?

I would deworm all four birds and I would treat all four birds with Corid if I were you.

From the looks of your first picture that one new bird had a very bad roundworm infestation so no telling what else she is coming to your house with. If she is carrying a strain of coccidia your original three birds are not used to then it could become a problem for them or vice versa.
She is in quarantine but I will worm and treat all for cocci. Can I do both at the same time?

I think all medicated feed uses low doses of amprolium, which is what corid is. I think the amount in the feed is low enough that you don't have to worry about overdosing, but to be safe you could always switch to regular feed while using corid. I also generally stop using medicated feed around two months... that may just be me and I'm not sure if there is preferred length of time to use medicated food.

Can you contact the person you got the pullet from and ask when and with what she was wormed with? Also if she has been vaccinated for anything? Vaccination for coccidiosis isn't a hundred percent and I would still treat with corid but feeding medicated food to a vaccinated chick isn't recommended as the the amprolium can interfere with the virus in the vaccine.
Oh that's interesting, as it's medicated pullet grower, so designed for older pullets...

I did ask the breeder what the problem could be. She said just stress but to treat for cocci just in case. She was definitely (according to the breeder) vaccinated for Mareks. Will ask about cocci.

She is in quarantine but I will worm and treat all for cocci. Can I do both at the same time?
it's medicated pullet grower
Photo of the medicated pullet grower? Are you located in the U.S.?

I would treat for both worms and Coccidiosis.
If in the U.S. you can find Corid (Amprolium) and Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer at most feed stores.
You can treat with both at the same time.

Corid Liquid is 2tsp or Corid Powder is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't add any Extra supplements or vitamins that contain B1 (Thiamine) to the feed or water during the course of treatment with Corid.

Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days to treat Roundworms Only.

Photos of the pullet are always welcome.

Back
Top Bottom