Help!! What is this? What do I do?

julieannkerr

Hatching
Jul 29, 2021
She’s acting perfectly fine eating, and running around. I just noticed this and have never seen it. It seems like it is connected to her and whatever is being held has nothing in it. I’ve looked up many possible things but I am still unsure. Does anyone know what this is and what to do. My vet is booked for two months so she won’t see her and I don’t know what to do. Please help I love her dearly.

Attachments

• 4AA2C479-EF03-4355-B5CE-94FC8B9B5656.jpeg
    4AA2C479-EF03-4355-B5CE-94FC8B9B5656.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 25
Oh my! Is it coming from her vent? I'm wondering if it's a prolapsed vent.

Imma tag some folks.
@Eggcessive
@azygous

There are lots of experts whose names escape me atm. Let's see what others think.
Oh my! Is it coming from her vent? I'm wondering if it's a prolapsed vent.

Imma tag some folks.
@Eggcessive
@azygous

There are lots of experts whose names escape me atm. Let's see what others think.
Yes, it is coming out of her vent. She has been acting a little unusual the past two weeks and we have been regular checking all our chickens vents because one just had flystrike and one currently has mareks. He vent has looked fine the past few days so I’m not sure what happened. It’s bothering her a little bit she’s pecking at it. I’m just not sure what to do about this I don’t wanna remove it or do anything to it until I know what I should do.

She’s acting perfectly fine eating, and running around. I just noticed this and have never seen it. It seems like it is connected to her and whatever is being held has nothing in it. I’ve looked up many possible things but I am still unsure. Does anyone know what this is and what to do. My vet is booked for two months so she won’t see her and I don’t know what to do. Please help I love her dearly.
I can’t tell if it is a prolapsed vent because whatever it is, it is hanging out of her. Whatever it is, is hanging onto something inside her I’m pretty sure, except the outside looks all torn up like I should not put it back inside her.

It's probably s prolapsed vent, then. I'd clean her up as good as you can and bring her inside adap to avoid fly strike and pecking. Gotta keep any exposed tissue moist. Normally you push the vent back in very gently. But I don't know with that one. I don't know what to do, either. I really, really with I did. I know how awful you feel.

It looks bad to me. Like it's been pecked pretty badly. Is there another vet you can take her to for an emergency?

It's probably s prolapsed vent, then. I'd clean her up as good as you can and bring her inside adap to avoid fly strike and pecking. Gotta keep any exposed tissue moist. Normally you push the vent back in very gently. But I don't know with that one. I don't know what to do, either. I really, really with I did. I know how awful you feel.

It looks bad to me. Like it's been pecked pretty badly. Is there another vet you can take her to for an emergency?
No, there is not another vet. I live in a smaller town and we only have one bird vet. She also happens to be the only main vet really. I called about two weeks ago for another one of my birds and she said she is booked and wouldn’t be able to see her and to try and do what I can to help her.

No, there is not another vet. I live in a smaller town and we only have one bird vet. She also happens to be the only main vet really. I called about two weeks ago for another one of my birds and she said she is booked and wouldn’t be able to see her and to try and do what I can to help her.
I know this is a lot an may be annoying with all the extra replies so sorry, but new information whatever it is it can’t be pushed back in or pulled off it is connected to her by something small and thin. Vent around it looks fine

I'm sorry no one else has responded.

Maybe it's not a prolapse, then. I wonder if it's an internally laid egg? Maybe that's the membrane, and the egg broke inside and is causing injury, hence the blood. If that's it, she's going to need antibiotics. You can get fish mox at most pet supply stores, and you can get Baytril w/o a prescription online. But I really don't know what it is, and if makes me hesitate on advising any treatment.

Do you see broken shell anywhere? Is she straining to push it out?

And it's definitely NOT annoying. I know how it is to have to wait for an answer. I honestly wish I knew because I know exactly what you're going through.

I'm sorry no one else has responded.

Maybe it's not a prolapse, then. I wonder if it's an internally laid egg? Maybe that's the membrane, and the egg broke inside and is causing injury, hence the blood. If that's it, she's going to need antibiotics. You can get fish mox at most pet supply stores, and you can get Baytril w/o a prescription online. But I really don't know what it is, and if makes me hesitate on advising any treatment.

Do you see broken shell anywhere? Is she straining to push it out?

And it's definitely NOT annoying. I know how it is to have to wait for an answer. I honestly wish I knew because I know exactly what you're going through.

I did think it was a broken egg at first, but wasn’t sure because it is connected. Do you think I’d be able to remove it? My sister and I were able to push it back in. I don’t think it should go back in because the thing is basically hollow and just hanging there but I don’t want to remove it if it might make things worse. Thank you for your input it really was helpful especially since I’m emotional distressed about it. It really does suck they are family to me and I love them beyond explanation. If you think of anything else let me know thank you:)

Back
Top Bottom