Help! What is wrong with my Basil!!

3riverschick

Poultry Lit Chaser
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Oh I am so sad. Hubby Bob got me three basil plants at the beginning of summer. I transplanted them into a nice planter. Watered them nicely and they have been growing great all summer. I don't know how to cook with fresh Basil so was planning to dry them for cooking that way. Today I went out to look at them and, horrors! The leaves are turning yellow, tho the weather is still summer here. And underneath the leaves is white foamy spit! It's so gross and I am so sad. Is there any way to save the basil? I looked and didn't see any bugs. What is wrong with my plants?
Thanks for your help!
Karen in western PA (who kinda has a black thumb and was so happy to see the basil thrive.)

Last edited:
Those are "spittlebugs", a sort of leafhopper, and they are sucking the juice out of your plants, making them yellow. The spittle is to protect them from predators, but it is easily washed off. If you have a spray bottle, fill it with water and add a small amount of dish detergent (like less than a teaspoon, more is not any better than a little). Set it on a coarse spray, a stream if possible, and blast away on the spittle. The soap is a surfactant and will help the water penetrate the foam. It also kill the bugs if they get a little soap on them (momma was wrong when she said a little soap never killed anyone, LOL). Wait is few minutes, then spray the plants top to bottom with a hose. Really, the hose is probably enough, but I like to use soap, it's like kryptonite to most bugs and completely safe for people and plants, as long as you don't overdo it. The spray of clean water will remove the soap residue anyway.

You will probably have to repeat it a few times, just watch for them.

Start enjoying that basil right away. I like to pluck the tender leaves and tuck them in a sandwich instead of lettuce. Toasted cheese, tomato and basil
love.gif
. If the basil is not so tender, just shred it. You can use it fresh any where you'd use dried. Shredded on cooked pasta... yummy. Go bold! Enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom