HELP What killed all of my chickens

ladybug4ut1

Songster
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Central Florida
Morning Forum,

woke up this morning went out to say good morning to my chickens and all were dead. they were in two differnet coops and what ever it was went in both and killed everything but did not eat one of them. I cuckoo Marans in one pen and Silkies in another, My silkies had just started laying got my first egg yesterday. I usually have electric fence on the pens but we used the extension cord for something else yesterday and no one put it back. Right now Life sucks.
Any body got any idesas what would kill and not eat
barnie.gif

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
:thun

I had that to happen with my first and second batch of chickens. Come to find out it was my Wiemerier, getting in to the coop and our Jack Russel pup killing all of our chickens. I almost gave up but my dh cemented the bottom of the wire and knock on wood it has been months since I've had any other problems. Also the Wiem can not go out without me when the chickens are out.

I am sorry, but don't give up!

Sylvia

well iv had two flocks killed like this killed them and left.some had heads pulled off . the last time they did it i left them in the cage over night . to see if they would come back . well they did it was a black lab duck dog he left his collar on the fence lol . the next friday he got buck shot in his rump.

Quote:
Enclosure is 1" chicken wire with 1"X 6" boards three different places and electric wire three different levels and electric fence did not go on last night. When I replace the chickens electric fence will go on whenever they are in there pens.

How large an opening for a critter to get in?

Was your wire pulled apart or damaged at all?

What was the condition of the chickens? IE head pulled off, disembowled, etc? (sorry to be graphic)

I'm having a hard time picturing your setup - could an animal just walk thorough the electric wire since it wasn't on and have access to the chickens, or was there 1" chicken wire around everywhere else too??

Sorry about your chickens!!

Quote:
What ever it was entered at the bottom of the cage bent up the wire and made a hole to get in and the second pen pulled wire off of fence post and made hole to get in. the chickens were just laying on the ground none were missing some had puncture holes. but no head removed or anything like that. thanks for your support really hard just had returned one that i had made better from illness. Just so upsetting

Looks like electric fence was your chickens best friend. I vote dog did the deed. Chicken wire alone does not stand up to anything other than hawks and keeping chickens in. Hope you can repair and keep that fence going. Else you'll have to redo your wire with hardware cloth since that is much stronger.

Back
Top Bottom