HELP What killed all of my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ladybug4ut1, Nov 25, 2007.

1. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    Morning Forum,

woke up this morning went out to say good morning to my chickens and all were dead. they were in two differnet coops and what ever it was went in both and killed everything but did not eat one of them. I cuckoo Marans in one pen and Silkies in another, My silkies had just started laying got my first egg yesterday. I usually have electric fence on the pens but we used the extension cord for something else yesterday and no one put it back. Right now Life sucks.
    Any body got any idesas what would kill and not eat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :thun

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] OH so sorry to hear this............ :aww how awful for you.... I cant help with what may have done that though.....I sure someone else will though.... I just feel awful for you [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Dogs are the #1 kill and do not eat.

Raccoons usually drag off bodies but would have at least eaten a few.

What was their enclosure like?

4. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I had that to happen with my first and second batch of chickens. Come to find out it was my Wiemerier, getting in to the coop and our Jack Russel pup killing all of our chickens. I almost gave up but my dh cemented the bottom of the wire and knock on wood it has been months since I've had any other problems. Also the Wiem can not go out without me when the chickens are out.

I am sorry, but don't give up!

Sylvia

5. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    well iv had two flocks killed like this killed them and left.some had heads pulled off . the last time they did it i left them in the cage over night . to see if they would come back . well they did it was a black lab duck dog he left his collar on the fence lol . the next friday he got buck shot in his rump.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Oh, that's just horrible. I'm so sorry that happened. I'd be just devestated. [​IMG]

7. ladybug4ut1

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    Quote:Enclosure is 1" chicken wire with 1"X 6" boards three different places and electric wire three different levels and electric fence did not go on last night. When I replace the chickens electric fence will go on whenever they are in there pens.

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    How large an opening for a critter to get in?

Was your wire pulled apart or damaged at all?

What was the condition of the chickens? IE head pulled off, disembowled, etc? (sorry to be graphic)

I'm having a hard time picturing your setup - could an animal just walk thorough the electric wire since it wasn't on and have access to the chickens, or was there 1" chicken wire around everywhere else too??

Sorry about your chickens!!

9. ladybug4ut1

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    Quote:What ever it was entered at the bottom of the cage bent up the wire and made a hole to get in and the second pen pulled wire off of fence post and made hole to get in. the chickens were just laying on the ground none were missing some had puncture holes. but no head removed or anything like that. thanks for your support really hard just had returned one that i had made better from illness. Just so upsetting

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like electric fence was your chickens best friend. I vote dog did the deed. Chicken wire alone does not stand up to anything other than hawks and keeping chickens in. Hope you can repair and keep that fence going. Else you'll have to redo your wire with hardware cloth since that is much stronger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by