help, what kind of chickens do I have??

farmgirlbdub

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
Morgantown, WV
Do you have any idea what kind of chickens these are? They were given to my husband by a guy at work who has lots and breeds them... my hubby can't seem to remember to ask what breed they are and I'm impatient... I have a guess but was wondering if anyone had any idea...they are both young 17 weeks....brother and sister... they were the soul survivors of a skunk attack. He killed 9 siblings and the mother :'( it was terrible. They lay white eggs and mother had no comb. Neither does my little pullet. Daddy was GORGEOUS and had a green tint, and nice big tail feathers. He was also murdered. (I took care of that skunk too)

Welcome to BYC!!
D.gif
They look like they could be Black Australorp or Black Sumatra, probably sumatra based on their build and what you say of the daddy's tail feathers. If you want more opinions, you might want to try also posting in the What Breed or Gender is This? Part of the forum. Congratulations on having chickens, they are tons of fun!

Welcome to BYC!!
D.gif
They look like they could be Black Australorp or Black Sumatra, probably sumatra based on their build and what you say of the daddy's tail feathers. If you want more opinions, you might want to try also posting in the What Breed or Gender is This? Part of the forum. Congratulations on having chickens, they are tons of fun!

I'm sorry, Xiao Casa, but I have to disagree with you. Definitely not Australorp or Sumatra.

I am a little confused as to what they are because I'm not seeing a white earlobe. I would say Minorca, but those have a distinct white earlobe.

I'm thinking that they may have some Modern Game in them, due to the long legs and head appearance.

Does anyone else have an idea?

Last edited:
Thank you! I was thinking Sumatra based on the whiteish eggs and the green tinted feathers but was told their faces were too light?

No, I am positive that they aren't Sumatras, although you are on the right track! The reason I'm saying that is because the comb is wrong. Your chickens are single-combed, and Sumatras have a pea comb.

I'm thinking Modern Game mix for their breed.

No, I am positive that they aren't Sumatras, although you are on the right track! The reason I'm saying that is because the comb is wrong. Your chickens are single-combed, and Sumatras have a pea comb.

I'm thinking Modern Game mix for their breed.

Pardon my ignorance, what does that mean? I've had chickens for years, that I sorta inherited... but they were "just chickens" and game me yummy eggs. I have recently begun to LOVE them and gotten really interested in them. And have started digging deeper and would love to have a big old diverse flock!
1f60d.png
1f61c.png

Pardon my ignorance, what does that mean? I've had chickens for years, that I sorta inherited... but they were "just chickens" and game me yummy eggs. I have recently begun to LOVE them and gotten really interested in them. And have started digging deeper and would love to have a big old diverse flock!
1f60d.png
1f61c.png

You are not being ignorant at all! We all start somewhere!
big_smile.png

Did you mean the part about the breed or the combs?

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! They could be mixes maybe? ... the pullet does look like she has kind of a peacomb so besides Sumatra maybe Phoenix or one of the other longtails would be a possibility, that is a lot of tail for a 17 week old pullet.

Back
Top Bottom