Help! What kind of duck and what sex?

crownsparkles

Chirping
10 Years
May 16, 2014
Charleston, SC
Hello!
We bought baby ducks from Tractor Supply 5 weeks ago and we are curious what sex they are?
Also-
We thought we had all Silver Appleyards- but they looks so different?
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1647.jpeg
    IMG_1647.jpeg
    865.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1645.jpeg
    IMG_1645.jpeg
    802.4 KB · Views: 10
They all look like females, hens. But I can’t tell their breed.

The only thing throwing me off is the orange feet and bill. I don’t see any Duck butt curls, which would be right on top of the tail feathers.

Do they have a raspy quack for a soft one? If they sound like Donald Duck, they may be drakes. If they’re loud, hens.

They all look like females, hens. But I can’t tell their breed.

The only thing throwing me off is the orange feet and bill. I don’t see any Duck butt curls, which would be right on top of the tail feathers.

Do they have a raspy quack for a soft one? If they sound like Donald Duck, they may be drakes. If they’re loud, hens.
They honestly don’t make a whole lot of sound - someone has a little quack but I haven’t figured out which one
Thanks for writing back!

They honestly don’t make a whole lot of sound - someone has a little quack but I haven’t figured out which one
Thanks for writing back!
Sometimes if you pick up each one and walk off from the others you can get a quack out.

If these ducklings are the same age I'm thinking the 2 small ones are Mallards.
Maybe the large duckling is a Silver Appleyard?
@cheezenkwackers May know.
They are beautiful

I agree. They are beautiful and the big one does look like a Silver Appleyard. I suspect it is a drake based on it’s coloration. The other two also do look like Mallards. I suspect you have a pair. Female mallards have the saddle shaped color on their bill like the one in the front of the second picture. Drakes have solid bills. You will know for sure in a couple weeks when the boys start getting their breeding plumage.

Thanks for writing back!
Of course. It does take some time for them to get their quacks set up. Lol.

Feel free to keep us updated. The voice really will be your easiest way to tell. When it comes in of course.

Back
Top Bottom