Help. What possibly be wrong?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by duluthralphie, Aug 14, 2016.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

As you can tell by my profile I am a professional chicken wrangler. I know everything chicken.. I am now stumped by an occurrence.

About 2 weeks ago I removed all my hens from my young rooster pen. It was getting time. I figured before long the pullets would get jumped by the roosters. I figured I still had a month or more until POL hit.

This morning when checking my roosters I found this on the feed bunk.

[​IMG]

Mt question is this: Has anyone else ever had a rooster lay eggs? How long will the rooster lay eggs? Are they edible? Is it possible for a rooster to self identify as a pullet? What should I do now?

If you are tempted to say I made a mistake, please don't, as I have not made a mistake since 1973.

2. Newmamabear

Newmamabear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    I vote you thank your rooster profusely and then thank your lucky stars that you're gettin some brekkie materials from such an upstanding fella!

3. Newmamabear

Newmamabear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    As a side note, my rooster does not lay any eggs, but neither do my hens soooo....

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Could you have a chimera in the rooster pen? I know they happen in poultry but don't know about their egg laying ability.
    from this article it seems a male chicken with a female brain ( one type of chimera) will look like a cock but will also lay eggs.
    http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms2372 ( egg laying is discussed under the subtitle "reproductive characteristics".
    FF=female with female brain
    FM=female with male brain
    MF=male with female brain ( what you may have, interesting, they can also fertilize hens))
    MM= male with male brain.
    Best,
    Karen
    Might be a good idea to trap nest your roosters and cull a chimera if you find him.
    Or he may be fertilizing your hen and I don't know if this is genetic.
    I have found researchers to be wanting to discuss their work. Maybe see if there is email addy
    for the authors of this article. I think they might be real interested to see if you might have a
    chimera here. Might even be able you help you ID one in the group w/o trap nesting, if a he/she is there.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by