help, what should i do about my aggressive hen

Oh gosh, definitely news I didn’t want to hear. I’ll see how she is acting in a week or twos time. I’ll try to hang out more in the run with them to see if that has anything to do with it.

I have a almost year old Opal Legbar and she is just getting out of her molting. I normally love to open the run door and say hello to everyone. I usually pick up little wood chips off the ground and throw it as they love the chase things. But for 5 days now I have been unable to do so as my Opal Legbar aggressively fluffs up her neck, stands super tall, and pecks me. She also has jumped and scratched my hands a few times. Only once has she drawn blood, but this was before her molt. She still allows me to pick her up, although she makes very pissed off chicken noises at me. I’ve also noticed while looking at her that her once small nubs on her ankles have started to grow. They are about twice the size of what they were before her molt.

Just to note, she hasn’t laid a egg in over 6 months, 5 months before the molt started. It wasn’t a full molt, she just lost all her tail feathers and her neck feathers for a while.

Also another thing to note, she has always tried to go after my fingers and peck them. It hasn’t been like “Ooh, what’s this?” light taps, but full force I’m trying to rip your skin off bites.

I really would hate to get rid of her as I do dearly love her and her personality (well, the personality that isn’t the “I’m going to end you” one). Hopefully there is something that I can do to make her less aggressive.
Make a make shift jail! yes!!!she has to be segregated, that is the worst punishment and it works. make sure she can see the flock but don’t let her comingel, She will straiten up after about 2 days and nights. Never let a hen become aggressive tword you! they can inflict deep cuts.

Back
Top Bottom