Help- what type of sealant or paint can I use on the inside floor of my coop without hurting chicken

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dutchbunny83, Mar 7, 2013.

1. dutchbunny83

dutchbunny83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    We just built another coop because we have new chicks that will be going outside within the next month.
    My husband recently purchased a ridiculously expensive shed, which was assembled on location, so we had some extra wood to use to cut down on cost.
    For the floor I am using some of the paneling from the shed that's like composite wood maybe? (It's like all these chunks of wood pressed into the panels). It is very absorbent and shouldn't really get wet, so I need to seal it or paint it so I am able to clean the floors and it's not all soaked with chicken poo.
    After it dries, there will still be plenty of time to air out before my chickens go in, but I wanted to make sure I used something that wouldn't be toxic to them, but would get the job done.

Ideas????

THANKS!

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I am using the exterior Glidden 2-1 in semi gloss. Mine will air out 6month plus so i dont worry too much.

3. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    I painted the inside of my coop using Farrow & Ball exterior eggshell.
    Wipe clean, water based, no odour during painting. No problems at all :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by