Help! Why would my ducklings disappear?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Theeggboxtoo, May 25, 2011.

1. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    We have 3, 6 week old Mallard/ or Rouen ducklings. We have looked all over our property for them, nothing, not even a feather. What could of happened to them, they were the sweetest ducks ever. We miss them. [​IMG] Our 8 week old d'uccle hen recently disappeared as well... Do you think they will come back? What happened to them?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you lock them up at night, are they in a pen of a night. If not, then something just might of got them

3. Theeggboxtoo

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    they stay in their house at night, but they disappeared at 10:00 A.M. during the day.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, no!! [​IMG] I'm so sorry. That's the worst, not even knowing what happened to them.

Sadly, I'm going to have to bet on something getting them, most likely a raccoon. They are clever, fast, aggressive, and often out during the day. They'll drag a baby off and leave no sign when they can.

It's also possible that a domestic dog came into your yard and frightened them and they're in hiding. Ducks can be outstanding at hiding, and may not come home for a day or two.

If a raccoon got one, the others may just be in hiding.

I would keep them penned up until a time when you can watch them constantly and see if something is coming into your yard after them.

So sorry for your loss. That's heartbreaking.

5. Duker17

Duker17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    Do you have coyotes? That would be my guess. I've lost several birds to them unfortunately, even in the day time.

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh no, I hope they're OK. Hopefully, the just decided to go somewhere else. Are there any other ducks in your area? Maybe the decided to go visit them. I've seen 6 week old ducklings leave their mom and hang out with the other teenage ducks in the area.

Thinking positive thoughts.

7. Theeggboxtoo

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    We have had a coyote come before, but don' t they leave feathers behind?

We have been watching them, we had checked on them 30 minutes before and they were fine... I hope they come back.
    If they are mallards would they fly away?

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Hawks and owls will get them too.

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    A coyote doesn't always leave feathers behind because sometimes they just grab a duck and go. You'll sometimes see what looks like medium-sized dog prints nearby. At 6 weeks, they wouldn't be able to fly yet.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sounds like hawks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by