Help with a 13 week old chick!

Gainesvillechickenlover

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Hi everyone,
I have a a little problem. I have 4 hens that are a year old. Two leghorns and two red stars. We were given a 13 week old RIR from a friend who couldn't keep her anymore because of dogs. We took her in and my original 4 hens have not been very nice. I know the pecking order has to be established and there hasn't been any blood involved. The problem is I can't get the chick to come out of the hen house. I have water and food in there for her but she will not come out. We have had her about a week. Should I worry or will she eventually come out and join the group? She is eating and drinking and looks healthy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Well, I would have advised a 30 day quarantine first to make sure she is healthy, then I would put her in a cage or pen where the chickens can all see each other and get used to the new chicken around. After about a week of that, I then introduce into the flock and it is less stressful. Right now she has 2 stress issues going on, 1 being a new place to live, 2 being new flock mates that don't know her yet and there is no pecking order. I would watch her carefully and monitor the behavior of the others. The next step on what to do is up to you. Good luck!

ETA: This is how I do it and others may have better advice. I hope it works out for you and the little hen!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom