Help with a chronic broody hen

Camper23

Hatching
Nov 23, 2019
Hello everyone, first I’d like th thank thurs community as I’ve learned so much on this site.

so, I have a roughly 1 year old jersey giant that has been going broody off and on since late February. At first I wasn’t sure what she was doing but thanks to this site I’ve learned it’s definitely brooding.Pulling out feathers, very rarely leaves the nesting box, not laying, etc

so I started taking her out and putting her in a broody breaker (an old dog crate with food and water only) takes about a week then she’s back to laying for a week or two then gets broody again.
Not sure where to go from here

any help would be appreciated

Is your dog crate elevated so cool air gets to her underside?

I've had blue, white and black Jersey Giants and never had one go broody.
But I had a black Leghorn that went broody many times and raised 5 clutches of chicks for me. So you just never know.
If you don't want her to raise chicks, keep breaking her, remove all the fake eggs if you use them and collect eggs often.
You can also try a different padding in the nest box. I've used straw, grass, pine shavings, excelsior nest pads and plastic nest pads. I've had hens go broody on all of them except the plastic pads so perhaps you could try them.

Last edited:
Why don't you want a broody hen??
You can hatch as many chicks as you want. Yau are lucky you have a broody hen.
I want my quails to go broody but they never become broody.

Quail don't go broody hardly at all and fairly to hatch and even rarely after that do they actually raise chicks to weaning age. Also if there are no roosters, there is no point in a hen going broody

I'm not that familiar with Old World quail that many people on this site raise. I'm more familiar with New World quail. I think they go broody more often.

We don’t have a rooster so it’s doin her nor the eggs any good to sit on them and she can get aggressive with the other hens when they come in to lay.

Is your dog crate elevated so cool air gets to her underside?

I've had blue, white and black Jersey Giants and never had one go broody.
But I had a black Leghorn that went broody many times and raised 5 clutches of chicks for me. So you just never know.
If you don't want her to raise chicks, keep breaking her, remove all the fake eggs if you use them and collect eggs often.
You can also try a different padding in the nest box. I've used straw, grass, pine shavings, excelsior nest pads and plastic nest pads. I've had hens go broody on all of them except the plastic pads so perhaps you could try them.
Ya we will just keep on breaking her and hope it sticks one of these times. We currently use the “premium pine shavings” sold by our local feed store. I haven’t seen any of those plastic pads before I’ll have to look those up

Ade you collecting e.g. ggs every day? How many birds lay a day? Are there more than one egg in a nest box?

My feral hens usually don't get broody until at least two eggs are where they can get to them. And the times I have a hen from my mixed flock get broody are usually after i miss a day and they have like ten eggs under them.

Back
Top Bottom