1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with a Fence

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hawgon, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    We want to put a fence up to seperate our patio from our backyard and I am not sure what to use. Any advice would be helpful. We do clip a wing on all of our chickens.(We have 7 Egg-layers, 4 Seramas and 9 Silkies). I heard I dont want to use a "solid" fence because they will perch on it. Any ideas or pics would be great. Can I use a chainlink fence and not put a top rail on it? Thanks in advice.

2. Jarrett Dobbins

Jarrett Dobbins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    What I would suggest you do is use chain-link fence and, if you would like, add a top support pole for extra strength then take a roll of netting and stretch it across your fencing so that the chickens cannot get up there. I personally prefer chain-link because it is cheap and sturdy which is needed during strong winds and heavy rain. If you have any questions, let me know. For more: www.dobbins4025.wix.com/chicken-boy

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You could use chain link and set the poles so that the fabric sticks up a few inches, so that there is no space to roost on the top rail.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by