Help with a foot problem!

chickengirl_23

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 3, 2007
I have a near 3 year ol hen who started having weird bumps thats appeared to be part of the skin of the foot. It broke throught the scales and under her feet too. I thought about bumble foot but it was on the sides of the feet too. she walks in a sort of a stumble and soon she started to pick at theblisters when they sort of popped. I regulary soak her in hydrogen peroxide and put tea tree oil and bandage up the wounds because when she picks they start to bleed a little. The rest of the five in the flock have seen her weak and peck her. This has come to a a dangerous point and we closed off a space in the coop for her so she won't get pecked when we are not around. Any ideas on curing this foot problem? Thank you for reading this.

Mites is what I was thinking, too, but I'd think the rest of the flock would be showing signs as well, if that's the case. I agree about the picture--can you post one? Poor birdie!
hit.gif

http://www.dsm.com/en_US/html/dnpus/an_p_panto_def.htm
Pantothenic
Acid Deficiency (vit B-5)
(excerpt)
The major lesions of pantothenic acid deficiency for poultry appear to involve the nervous system, adrenal cortex and skin (Scott et al., 1982). Pantothenic acid deficiency reduces normal egg production and hatchability.......In chickens a decline of growth is followed by decline in feed conversion and retardation of feather growth. Plumage becomes rough and ruffled, and feathers become brittle and may fall; next dermatitis rapidly develops in chicks. Corners of the beak and the area below the beak are the worst affected, but the disorder is also observed in feet. Outer layers of skin between toes and on bottoms of feet peel off, and small cracks and fissures appear. In some cases skin layers of feet thicken and cornify, and wart-like protuberances develop on balls of the feet. The foot problem is usually exacerbated by bacterial invasion of the lesions. ..."

...I would havesuggested giving three to four drops of POLYVISOL (liquid childrens vitamins) for a week daily then slowly tapering off and see if this does not help HOWEVER I just looked at the ingredients and see it does not contain vit B5 (pnatothenic acid) so suggest you find one that does include this and the rest of the ingredients listed for POLYVISOL (be careful with a multivitamin as it will often contain excesss amounts of copper or such which may be toxic,,,the vitamins in the polyvisol are ok except in this case where you might need the B5) here are the rest of the ingredients of POLYVISOL (as you see >B5 is not listed):
Vitamin A 1500 IU

Vitamin C 35 mg

Vitamin D 400 IU

Vitamin E 5 IU

Thiamin (B1) 0.5 mg

Riboflavin (B2) 0.6 mg

Niacin (B3) 8 mg

Vitamin B6 0.4 mg

Vitamin B12 2 ug

a good supplemental poultry vitamin such as AviaCharge 2000 or RoosterBooster vitamins regularly might be indicated also. (Here is alsoThe page below on Biotin deficiency)
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206932.htm

Last edited:
I regulary soak her in hydrogen peroxide and put tea tree oil and bandage up the wounds because when she picks they start to bleed a little

Please do not use Hydrogen peroxide (I think Wes said that...if I have repeated >sorry) and concerning the teatree oil...this should not be used on open wounds (toxicity issues reported in birds) in addition it is very irritating (which may be why your bird is pecking at it)... bring your bird in and give a soaking in a dilute novalsan solution and spray on some blukote (which might help prevent pecking) is one suggestion... how is your birdie doing now anyway???​

Sorry to here about your chickens illness. I have a like problem on one of my millie hens. She has been setting on eggs for a sometime and her feet have broken out in scales and bumbs kinda like a light colored wart. I bathed her feet in warm soapy water then dryed them. I folowed up with vetr/x you can get it at most feed stores. I t is good for many chicken aliments. I have used it on roup, colds ,black spots on combs and such and have gotten rid of all of these things with it.You might try this on her. I would do it at least twice a day three if you can. It will help make the skin softer and add mostiure to the skin.Also has camphor and origanum oil.I have heard that if your chickens have mites they will be in the nest as well. You should be abel to stick your hand in the nest and if no mites are on you. Chances are your chicken dont have any either.I hope this helps. Let me know how she does.I will help you look for a remendy if you will send me a picture and more information. Also when I first started out two of my chickens had spraddel leggs. Alot of peopel said put them down there is no help. Dont believe everything your here they are healthy and doing fine.Alittle twine and help goes along way.Dont give up!

Thanks guys for your input!! I'll have to ask my dad about your suggestions. My bird looks a little better, with the bumps still on, but the big ditches in her foot are healing a little. I'll see if i can get a picture! I have a picture of her foot before and after! Shes not laying eggs and has minimal feathers. She doesnt seem to like the vitamin water we give her. She walks a little in a little stumble but recently, the other 4 chickens have decided shes a little weak and they try to jump on her and peck her neck feathers (which are growing back). WE closed up a spot in the coop for her to prevent pecking. She doesnt seem to be picking (I bandage her up). I 'm not really sure what to do. I'll review everyone ideas later. Scaley mites? Nothing green and i'm not sure what they look like. She drinks a lot of water and likes to sit on my lap. THank you

Back
Top Bottom